HJ711 got one turning

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

congratulations to Tony Agar on running the port engine on HJ711 at EK on Wednesday night. Video on Youtube

Original post

Member for

19 years 5 months

What is HJ711? An ex-RAF prop type, which narrows it down quite a bit, given the paucity of multi-engined warbirds in the UK.
​​​​​​Where is EK? East K irby?
Is Tony part of a team or museum group, If so which one?

Member for

20 years

HJ711 is a Mosquito NFII. Tony Agar has spent the last 40 or so years restoring it, starting with a £7 ex Air Training Corps nose section which he started rebuilding in his garage. It has grown from that to the complete airframe with operational Merlin 25s you see at East Kirkby today

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
I just received the video via the LAHC e-mail looks and sounds fantastic, congratulations to Tony and the team all your efforts are almost complete.....:applause::eagerness::cool:

Tony Agar and HJ711 made history this evening, The port engine test was carried out this evening with no issues. Tony would like to to take this opportunity to thank all the team at East Kirkby. Video and comment courtesy of a Youtuber photokam many thanks matey...;)

Geoff.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Fantastic video ! Flames flickering in the half-light, the gusting wind, and the shrieks of delight......wow !

22 years since a Mosquito fired up in the UK. It's been a long wait.

Member for

20 years 10 months

:applause::applause::applause::applause::very_drunk:

Member for

24 years 3 months

Brilliant! Very well done Tony and all involved in this epic job.

Member for

16 years 9 months

Could this ever be made into a flyer?

Member for

15 years 3 months

I was going to ask exactly the same hardtarget. I am guessing it could if enough money was thrown at it but the rebuild was probably not to certificated airworthy status so would need lots of work.

Member for

20 years 1 month

I suspect that the only way forward (into the air ) might involve a newly constructed Glyn Powell fuselage, and maybe a new wing /tailplane, which is pretty much the whole airframe, so really you might as well start a new project ( as have the People's Mosquito team) and leave HJ711 unmolested.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Brilliant news for them and the UK aircraft scene :)

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Tony's reaction sums it all up to me What a great day!

Geoff.

Member for

24 years 3 months

She has been build over the last 50 years, from spare parts none of which could be used in a flyer. Most of the work was done at Elvington, until for unexplained reasons, managers decided they wanted her gone, she moved to East Kirkby 13 months ago.

Member for

14 years 2 months

This news brightened my week.
To answer the question regarding flying, were 711 to be restored to fly virtually all the woodwork would have to be sacrificed. Given the provenance of the wooden components Tony has restored to use in the rebuild, that would be a huge shame. She's better off kept as a live, taxying but original Mossie in my opinion.

Member for

24 years 3 months

40 years....worthy of a tv programme.

Member for

24 years 3 months

It always amazes me to think that after starting with just a nose section, Tony Agar managed to find all the rest of the parts to construct a complete aircraft.

It also staggers me to realise that I went to the initial roll-out at Elvington on - I think - the 50th anniversary of the fighter prototype's first flight - over 25 years ago!

Profile picture for user DH82EH

Member for

11 years 3 months

Congratulations on such a wonderful milestone!
The amount of work and effort that Tony has put in to this project is staggering.
Any thoughts of dismantling it to bits to try to turn it in to a flyer would be an absolute shame.
She's magnificent!!

Member for

15 years 7 months

Hi All,
The next run of Mosquito HJ711 will be 3rd November, hopefully daytime and dusk/night. Lancaster NX611 will also be running day and night. We hope to have Dakota N473DC outside for photos day and night also.
details on our website www.lincsaviation.co.uk this will be the last run of HJ711 and NX611 this year.

Member for

15 years 7 months

HJ711 has now completed an engine test on the starboard engine to give her 2 running Merlins. She will be doing her first twin engine run on Monday 6th May and hopefully her first public taxy run!

Member for

20 years 10 months

Oooooo, 6 merlins running at the same time?

Great news and congrats to Tony and Team!