Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Setup

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DonClark
    Toujours propos
    • Apr 2006

Agree, 1bf: empty boxes. However, mouseover the pesky things and a text popup appears, for each function, so still quite possible to edit (indents, links etc). Another damned nuisance.

Further, if you've indented any text, each subsequent saved edit will add a para beneath the indented par (regardless of what you edited).

Plus special characters may not appear immediately, though somehow do later appear long after save/exit/logoff.

Finally, for some reason getting the cursor to go to the start of a line is capricious beyond simple explanation.

Pfft.

Last edited by DonClark; 6th October 2018, 04:11.
    Don Clark
    www.211squadron.org

Comment

• Tony C
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • May 2003

Page loading speed has slighty improved but for me at least, the page is still floating left or right, as if someone has uploaded a large image but there is no picture to see.

I'm using a Mac with a wireless Magic Mouse, can anyone confirm if this is a forum issue or if its to do with my Mac set-up?

Any clues?

Thanks
      Last edited by Tony C; 6th October 2018, 13:20.
      Tony

...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugg*r all down here on Earth!

Comment

• Bob
        Bob
        Aerophile
        • Jan 2000

Horizontal scroll bar is still showing up on my Mac too...
        Under my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Comment

• DonClark
          Toujours propos
          • Apr 2006

Bob, TC: Forums display as centred at all levels, no horizontal scroll bar on PC, W10, IE11. or Edge

Which browser are you using? Have you tried another?

NOTE: Requested advice re Browser/s & settings many many days back. Result: crickets.

Time to display a submitted post today? Minutes.

There's a word to describe this enduring farce. Unprofessional.
          Last edited by DonClark; 6th October 2018, 20:48.
          Don Clark
          www.211squadron.org

Comment

• Tony C
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • May 2003

DonClark asked - Bob, TC: Forums display as centred at all levels, no horizontal scroll bar on PC, W10, IE11. or Edge

Which browser are you using? Have you tried another?
            Hi Don,
            I'm using Firefox for Mac and Safari, plus I also have a PC running Windows 7 using Firefox and I also have access to another PC running Windows 7 using Chrome and IE and have the problem on all of them. This problem is only a major issue with my Mac as using a Magic Mouse, I need to swipe left or right to navigate through the forum, is it a real problem!
            Tony

...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugg*r all down here on Earth!

Comment

• Black Knight
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Oct 2003

This new set up is utter tosh!!!!!!! Without a doubt the worst it's ever been!!!!!!

Go back to the last version.

Comment

• Bob
                Bob
                Aerophile
                • Jan 2000

Took the best part of ten minutes for the forum to refresh index/load this page - if i hovered my cursor over any thread title in the index I got this pop-up box as opposed to the usual peek at first few lines of the post -

parserror: SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0
                Every other forum and webpage loaded/refreshed almost instantly.

Don - Safari, Firefox and Chrome all exhibit this horizontal scroll bar/page wibble.

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Comment

• Bob
                  Bob
                  Aerophile
                  • Jan 2000

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Comment

• Tony C
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • May 2003

Bob wrote...
                    Every other forum and webpage loaded/refreshed almost instantly.
                    Agree with the exception of Britmodeller which does occasionally drop out but not sure that the issues are the same as here!

Bob picture...

That is exactly what I have tried to express, a picture is still obviously worth more than a 1000 words
                    Tony

Comment

• adrian_gray
                      Which idiot let HIM in?
                      • Jan 2000

It's just taken me about two minutes to upload a reply (no piccies, just text), and the last poster is still out of kilter with the thread when you visit.
                      "Snow clearing equipment has been found under snowdrift" - message sent from RNAS Hatston, Orkney, 1944.

Comment

• DonClark
                        Toujours propos
                        • Apr 2006

I'd have posted much earlier, but I've been held up, as you'll see.

Firstly:
                        Sorry to hear those horizontal scroll bar blues, apparent in so many browsers.

As noted, the scroll bar isn't shown on a W10/IE11 machine, native resolution 1920x1080, Favourites sidebar 'on'.

I can make it appear, by resetting the display to the next highest: 1680x1050. A hint at the problem?

Also, on looking a touch deeper at Edge, find on default display no problem as noted before, however...

Turn on the Edge sidebar/favourites combo reduced to least width allowed, and voila: horizontal scroll bar appears. On a 1920x1080 display!

I'm too unskilled in html to suggest a cause or solution but it seems to be a basic layout error made in the new design. Yeah yeah, yeah yeah we all knew that.

The point is to record the details of yet another widespread pointlessly irritating problem in need of fixing.

It's time to get this thread referred to someone who's prepared to do something.

[I'd ask our ever-patient moderators, but if I can find a more direct route, I'll try that...and anyone else, including moderators, is welcome to try that too. Please] ... See below first.

Now, once I'd put that together, I went to log in and post, only to be met with this!
                        "There has been a database error, and the current page cannot be displayed. Site staff have been notified."
                        That is, login failure...repeated all day.

That left me with contacting the wenbmaster direct, by the Contact us button (you do'nt need to logged in to use that).

Which I did, noting the above log in defect and adding this:
                        A month or so has gone by since the new forum design was imposed. There are numerous problems with display, posting, editing and response time, many of which have been complained of repeatedly since mid September.
                        The main thread is here
                        https://forum.keypublishing.com/foru...64-forum-setup
                        Similar complaints here
                        https://forum.keypublishing.com/foru...updates-issues

Today, login results in this
                        There has been a database error, and the current page cannot be displayed. Site staff have been notified.

Key have provided a useful forum for aviation matters, which is appreciated. The current state of the forum is completely unsatisfactory and must now be addressed, promptly.

I've had no email reply, but on trying again just now, found I was able to log in at last, hence this rather partiform post.
                        Posting seemed quite prompt, plus the Advance edit buttons are now fixed.
                        The edit function is now quite prompt.
                        It also seems that the synch at the various levels (Here, Forum, Home eg) is currently working.
                        And, on checking Edge, the horizontal scroll is also fixed - perhaps for TC and other Mac users too?

By the by, successive re-edits of a post add a para/line feed to each and every indented par of a post...still.

It's possible, despite the unhelpful silence, that reasonable service is now here, though some editing oddities remain.
                        Cheers
                        Last edited by DonClark; 9th October 2018, 13:13.
                        Don Clark
                        www.211squadron.org

Comment

• Stratofreighter
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Mar 2006

I was also prevented from logon by the "database error" message, so I guess others were also.
                          Yes, ditto for me, was corrected in about 24 hours or so.
                          But so far it has remained a challenge actually posting contributions .
                          Now I have a second window/tab page open when posting....
                          http://www.airnieuws.nl per20 FEB 2019. Fokker aircraft(photo) news, etc.

Comment

• DonClark
                            Toujours propos
                            • Apr 2006

As of today, display time for forums seems prompt enough. Posting a reply markedly less so but editing same, properly prompt.

In other areas, I see What's going on now shows usernames whether logged in or just visiting. Tick!

Also the forum display width seems to have been reset: re-checked Edge and as noted above, no horizontal scroll bar now.

So apparently some silent progress. I've no more time to spend on eg whether the linefeed indent problem still exists.

I wonder though whether Tony and others Mac horiz scroll bug is now fixed.

We've all given enough of our time now as free software testers, surely?
                            Don Clark
                            www.211squadron.org

Comment

• Bob
                              Bob
                              Aerophile
                              • Jan 2000

Regarding the horizontal scroll bar issue - not fixed (for me).
                              It may have been sorted for you by changing your monitors resolution but when every other vBulletin forum I use on this laptop manages to make their page "fit" why can't Key?

Posts made today have 'hung' on the "Working" notification for an age and if the "Post Reply" button is hit again you get a message about duplication of posts - when a new tab is loaded the post has actually been successfully submitted, yet the original page is still "working"...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Comment

• DonClark
                                Toujours propos
                                • Apr 2006

Bob, you've misunderstood my comment.
                                I run at native res and as repeatedly stated, no width problem in W10/IE11 ever, nor now W10/Edge.
                                I tested at lower res, that's all. As stated, it made the problem appear not disappear.
                                Making it a solution is not sensible - hardly seemed worth explaining.

Sorry to hear the Mac scroll problem still present, worth noting.

I've found post reply intermittently rather sluggish today, edits less so if at all.

Some sort of progress is being made. If you feel this thread isn't resulting in enough progress, as already suggested you can either

contact the moderators
                                or
                                use the Contact us button in the black bar below to address the Forum admin direct.

But kindly do not snap at me. It isn't my problem.

Done here, dead set.
                                Last edited by DonClark; 10th October 2018, 22:39.
                                Don Clark
                                www.211squadron.org

Comment

• Bob
                                  Bob
                                  Aerophile
                                  • Jan 2000

Originally posted by DonClark
                                  But kindly do not snap at me. It isn't my problem.
                                  No snapping towards you intended - apologies if that was how my post read.

I am beginning to wonder if this anomaly is perhaps connected to the multi-gesture trackpad - one gesture combination allows returning to the previous browser page or going to the next page. This is when the horizontal bar appears.

It's the least of the problems really - the other issues need sorting...
                                  Last edited by Bob; 12th October 2018, 13:46.

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Comment

• Bob
                                    Bob
                                    Aerophile
                                    • Jan 2000

As the edit function still doesn't appear to work I meant to post "one gesture combination allows returning to the previous browser page or going to the next page"

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Comment

• Flygirl
                                      Flak Bait
                                      • Apr 2008

What a mess this forum is! why has it not been sorted yet! Clearly Key don't care! Ho Hum other great places to post these days!
                                      Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude.

http://planemadanna.blogspot.co.uk/

The first quality needed is audacity

Comment

• KurtB
                                        Rank 4 Registered User
                                        • Feb 2018

I have to agree. I used to check in several times a day, but the lack of new threads is indicative that many people cant be bothered as much as they used too. I even miss the bickering (of which there was plenty)! Maybe its time to toddle off for good.

Comment

• Flygirl
                                          Flak Bait
                                          • Apr 2008

Yep this forum is dead! Catch me on FB or Instagram.
                                          Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude.

http://planemadanna.blogspot.co.uk/

The first quality needed is audacity

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X