The new era of flying films, that use no aeroplanes. The worst yet ?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 1 month

Air Strike (Chinese: 大轰炸; pinyin: Dà Hōngzhà; literally: "Big Bombing") also known as Unbreakable Spirit is a Chinese actionwar-drama film directed by Xiao Feng about the Japanese bombings of Chinese city Chongqing during World War II. Mel Gibson joined as art director. The film stars Liu Ye, Bruce Willis, Song Seung-heon and William Chan, with special appearances by Nicholas Tse, Fan Bingbing and many others. Principal photography began in May 2015 in Shanghai, China.

The film was filmed as a memorial for the 70th anniversary of the Allied victory in WWII.[3][4] Originally scheduled to be released on 17 August 2018,[1] it was later rescheduled to be released on 26 October 2018 in order to have a same-day world-wide release.[

The trailer content, from a flying perspective, is just terrible, more of the ridiculous computer-games graphics, that ruined Pearl Harbour, Red Tails, Hurricane, and now this.

It was FIFTY years ago that the Battle of Britain film was produced, with perhaps the best flying sequences ever filmed, and yet the industry now pumps out this stuff. What price progress ?

Enjoy ! www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgIJfoo0n9Q

Original post

Member for

20 years 8 months

I'll still watch it.

I'm a masochist. Sorry!

Member for

19 years 5 months

To be fair, many of today's films depictcountless films, aircraft that are extinct (flying wise) or nearly so.
The well done B-24 ditching in "Unbroken" comes to mind, the Stukas in a couple of fairly recent films, the FSM Lysander in "Allied", and the He-111 in "Dunkirk" .
Yes, they're not flying aeroplanes, but they are more correct than what we saw in older films where incorrect planes were used...T-6s posing as Thunderbolts (or were they Typhoons?) in "A Bridge too Far" and as A6Ms in countless films, or my personal favorite, Cessna T-50/UC-78/Cranes as Japanese bombers in "PT-109".

It comes down to accuracy...would you rather have a Spitfire playing a Typhoon or a digital Typhoon in a WWII film?

Member for

20 years 8 months

I don't think it's the extinct aircraft that's the issue - it's more the computer game graphics and blatant disregard for realism that tends to screw most aviation films these days.

Only a few films have managed to get their CGI flying sequences remotely close. The Eternal Zero, anyone?

Member for

14 years 3 months

Yes, CGI can produce realistic images, but the tendency seems to be to always overdo it. No longer just have a car crash in a film, let's have a helicopter crash into a train inside a tunnel! The moment I see an exaggerated CGI effect in a film, it instantly ruins any belief I had in the plot. I thought the tiger's fur in Life of Pi was a good example of what can be done.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Before committing to schoolboy fantasies of aerial battles, CGI ‘artists’ and executive producers should watch the aerial sequences in The Battle of Britain and LEARN about real life flight dynamics. The capabilities of CGI and the real life struggles of war are still being, quite frankly, abused in the name of entertainment.

Member for

19 years 11 months

......I think the CGI is the least of their problems.......when you see the phrase 'based on real events.........'

Member for

12 years 1 month

Yep back in the day we used real aircraft!:dev2:
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii120/Duggy009/Me-109-Messerstang.jpg

Member for

7 years 6 months

I'll still watch "Air Strike" when I can . Despite the CGI effects that would be better suited to a "Star Wars" TIE fighter vs X-wing scenario. But landing a P40 on a truck! Oh Jeez! Are they kidding?!

Member for

18 years

Oh dear! "Let's take every cliche we can find from every other war film and throw them into one film, better yet, we'll make a trailer out of the worst of them!"
I'll wait and see it for free, or at least as much as I can stand...

John

Member for

13 years 5 months

That Chinese thing is AWFUL!!

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
I just wish that documentaries would get aircraft right i.e. RC BOB Model SQDN series (C4 :rolleyes:) that has lead historian James Holland describing the BOB as it happened. While he narrates about the Hurricane SQDN shooting down German aircraft you clearly see footage of a spitfire being shot down....:stupid:

I mean is it just me that thinks that the main audiences of these productions will be us the enthusiasts ? That being so shouldn't a bit more thought be put into their making instead of treating everybody as knowing nothing at all ? This is not any negativity on the flyers as they are all superb as to even try this project and power to them all....:applause:

I just feel that as it's meant to be part of the RAF 100 celebration they should have got everything spot on. Not going with the usual audience is thick and they will not know anything attitude that so many films and documentaries seem to have towards they're audience sadly....

Geoff.

Member for

16 years 3 months

To continue the poor aircraft rec these programs display, did you notice the mass flypast of Miles Master Mk 1, its a shot which often gets used when fighter scrambles are mentioned? Having been away on holiday I'm still playing catch up with this programme but have any FW190 been shot down yet? The FW 190 seems to be the most often shot down German aircraft of the BoB if these programme are to be believed.

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
No! One other moan is the Mk's of Spitfire and 109 are not correct, again this being programme is linked to the RAF100 you would have thought authenticity at least to the type of aircraft ?

Again the RC flyers do a fine job with what they have at hand.....:eagerness:

Geoff.

Member for

13 years 7 months

Dunkirk used real aircraft and somehow managed to make them look like CGI!

Member for

9 years

I think the further away from the real events, the more inaccuracy crept in. 633 sqn got it bang on of course, awful model in "Battle of the river plate" BUT IT WAS A PRESENTABLE SEAFOX, Lincolns in "The dambusters" but who notices? They had to get it right because so many of the audience were there. Then we got to later times and Buchons for Me 109s and pointy tails chasing griffons down the field in BoB scrambles. I think the best model sequence I saw was the crash scene in "Memphis bell", that may have been the pinnacle of accuracy in real aircraft and model mix. Now, anything you want. You want Jesus astride a Saturn V? No problem. I think part of the problem is that the artists depict the aircraft as models. We have all seen models with forced shading, panel lines and weathering that gives a brilliant scale effect but if applied to the full scale aircraft would look ridiculous. So the cgi aircraft look like models!

Member for

24 years 3 months

We must have watched different movies because, while the Mosquitos in 633 are good, the rest of the film is appalling, and the "Lincolns" in The Dambusters are Lancaster VIIs.

Adrian

Member for

9 years

I thought it was the aircraft we were discussing, not the acting, screenplay or whatever. The Lincolns were parked in the background in some of the ground scenes. As I said, who notices?

Member for

7 years 6 months

Yet another trailer for this China air war epic. Still ,despite the dubious CGI, at least the Zeroes in this are the right colour. Not like those in "Pearl Harbor". It always makes me laugh to see old interviews with Michael Bay. Harping on about how much care and attention to detail was made. Sure he did that, acquiring real A6Ms...... Then painting them Green!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJkz1pEBqf8

Member for

24 years 3 months

In The Dambusters, Lincolns were used simply because not all of the Lancaster's were in one place at one time. Production stills show Lincolns quite clearly. Wellington MF628 is in post war colours, I think a Tiger Moth is too. Canberras are in the background, and the a/c take off minus their Upkeep, and fly over the Cathedral, having suddenly found them again!

Love that movie. Try listening to it on earphones, its really creepy.