Hurricane movie not being shown in cinemas as one would think

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 3 months

Hurricane movie Sept 7 in cinemas, no, just a very few,. Looking fwd to seeing Hurricanes take on the Luftwaffe, us aviation types wait decades for an aviation movie, then when its released the cinema chains wont show it. Cineworld, Odeon, Vue cinemas, that have cinemas covering much of UK, wont show it, why ???? as such that creates massive areas devoid of the movie. Such waited for aviation movies need a big screen, cinema was made for aviation movies, I look to see what instead they deem better and see movies that this will blow out of the water, 'searching, rated 2/5 with crap plot it says, Spitfire Movie took £250,000 in one night, but the HQs of these cinemas think films like 'searching' will fare better. Clearly they wont, second biggest spectator attendance to football is airshows.
Cornwall, Devon, nothing, 1 cinema for all that land, all of wales nothing and a few grouped down at cardiff, all of central England ( many million population and nothing, nothing between bristol and birmingham, from east to west coast nothing, nothing between bham and liverpool in an east west strip, 3 hr journeys to get to a cinema, not a latest spec, but some moth eaten old standard thing, after all the work involved in that movie thats abysmal.
up as far as lake district I count 47 cinemas, Spitfire was 220, those I am faced with are reviewed as smelly unkempt knackered seats, not the latest HD projection, picture quality dated, or have zero parking nearby deep in urban areas, not my idea of safe parking at night.
Why though have the big cinemas shunned the Battle of Britain ? 100yrs of the RAF, kick in the teeth. in favour of some moth eaten plot of a film, which will not see anywhere near the interest, I say again Spitfire took £250,000 in one night.
They may change their minds if you ring and complain, apparently Cineworld are getting calls on Hurricane, might they change their minds, if they get more and more then maybe so, so add to that call list please, 0330 333 4444 else be prepared for a long journey and a mixed bag quality of venue, filmed for HD projection yet cinemas without such are used..

DBenz

Original post

Member for

9 years 6 months

Not every movie is guaranteed widespread cinema coverage upon release. The new Whisky Galore was in the cinemas for what felt like a week, and you had to hunt out the one cinema in the area showing it. There might be a bit of a shadow cast by Dunkirk at the moment. A lower budget WW2 film, with a more niche plot, might not be generating too much interest.

Member for

6 years 2 months

At least you guys have SOME options. I seriously doubt it will ever make it to this side of the pond. :(

Member for

20 years 7 months

Dark Blue World seemed to suffer a similar fate - it wasn't even shown anywhere near me.

However, you can already pre-order the DVD, and it's out next month, so....

Member for

9 years 6 months

I'm sorry but this isn't particularly surprising. Cinemas and big cinema chains are expensive to run, need staff and a large premises. If Spitfire took in £250,000 in one night - and as far as I could tell it was only shown for one night - that is peanuts across the country when you consider a major blockbuster movie uses up at least two screens sometimes three per cinema shown three or four times per day in each screen and will make a cinema chain several million over two months.

In the big corporate world of multiplex cinemas it's about getting as many people on seats and selling as much junk food as physically possible. A fairly niche group of aviation enthusiasts don't even get considered at boardroom level.

Spitfire was marketed, there were adverts on billboards and in the newspapers. I only occasionally come to this website but I didn't even know a film called Hurricane existed. I presume a large part of that is down to the available budget and presumably more was spent on the film than on advertising - I would hope this is the case anyway. Hollywood production companies will pay to push certain films into the cinemas and then spend millions more advertising the movie in all possible media. When did you walk out thinking the last ''blockbuster' was actually any good? Yet it will make far greater margins than a film like Hurricane. The cinema chains don't care as long as they get a good run of full cinemas.

They are not picking on you, they are picking on anyone with a niche interest for which someone has made a movie because I can probably find this topic on a multitude of special interest web forums.

Member for

14 years 7 months

The fact that the reviews seem to be polite rather than glowing probably isn't going to help either. Several of them are fairly critical of the CGI quality.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Cinemas have the feel of Debenhams or House of Fraser...pretty deserted for the rental space. I’m surprised that so many are still in business. Perhaps diversification will keep them open but for me, no rustling sweet packets, car park charges, mobile phone lighting, and inane chat. Just big screen TV entertainment in the comfort of my own home.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Currently in Sky Store and on Amazon Prime to rent - CGI a bit naff...

Member for

12 years 8 months

You are not missing out by not being able to find a cinema which is showing Hurricane. It is a hackneyed plot, with some very clunky and unbelievable CGI, save your money and watch it on Kodi or something similar. I won,t give too much away but i would be very surprised if the pilots in the real 303 Squadron lounged about in their civvy clothes when stood down after a days fighting in 1940.

Member for

13 years 3 months

I went to our local cinema at Blue water in Kent, for a Sunday evening there was around 60 in the audience, not to bad for a Sunday as i would of imagined there would of been more attending on the Friday/Saturday.

What was pleasing was the amount of young Polish men and women in the audience, so these cinemas that have shunned the film are possibly missing out on not only a British but also a Polish and of course Czech audience.

Member for

19 years 5 months

In the age of cable/satellite channels, several onlne
​​​​streaming services, not to mention "old tech" DVDs, and given the esoteric nature of the film, I'm surprised that anyone is surprised by this.