Scrapyard Photos; Any More?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Hi all,

I have spent some time today in the archive of this forum and enjoyed the many threads about scrapyards in the sixties, seventies and eighties. And the photo's posted (by Mark 12 and 682al, to name but a view) showing Spitfire, Typhoon and Lancaster remains are extremely interesting. Also the photo's posted by Cestrian were very intriguing.

Any more where that came from?

Cheers

Cees

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Does the 1950's count?

Here is one that puzzled me for a long time.

International Alloys 1959

Any takers?

Mark

Attachments

Member for

24 years 2 months

I do hope that this thread stays active as the pics are very interesting.....

Member for

19 years 9 months

Scrapyard photo's? No Problem

:(

Attachments

Member for

24 years 2 months

Does the 1950's count?

Mark,

Yes, they do. Keep them coming.

Cheers

Cees

Member for

24 years 2 months

Perhaps not quite what you wanted, Cees, but this is the results of "a good day down the scrapyard". Circa 1980.... :D

Attachments

Member for

24 years 2 months

"Get a grip, will yer?" :)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Lockheed Neptune

Martin

Martin,

Yes a Lockheed Neptune.

Here are a few more from International Alloys, with apologies if I have already posted any of them previously.

Mark

Attachments

Member for

21 years

Enough to break your heart isn't it :(

Dan

Member for

24 years 2 months

Got any of the Lightnings on the yard nr Bedhampton nr Portsmouth? Wonder what became of those?

Member for

20 years 2 months

Is that second to last pic a DH Hornet ?

TNZ

Member for

24 years 2 months

No, surely a Brigand?

And two shots above it is a Hawker something (Sea Fury?) adjacent to what looks like a Lancaster/Lincoln rear end. The lighter shade of paint on the rear most part is unusual though?

Member for

21 years

Now I really want to cry. Talk about a piece of history

Dan

Member for

24 years 2 months

The second photo from the top posted by Mark 12 shows the rear fuselage of a Wellington. The silver finish could point into the direction of a T Mk 10.

682al, nice pics about the spade grips, Hurricane/Typhoon/Tempest?
Keep them coming as anything is interesting. Probably hordes of people are now feverishly trying to contact you to persuade you to sell them. :p

Any pics about turrets in scrapyards?

Cheers

Cees

Member for

24 years 2 months

The spade grips mostly have the Dunlop pneumatic gun firing buttons and are Typhoon and/or Tempest. You will also see quite a few of the later Spitfire type with the rectangular gun firing control for the Hispano/Browning equipped versions. We found the remains of a Lysander column with one of those attached, too.

I don't get pestered too often these days, I think everyone knows how cantankerous I can be when it comes to parting with stuff. "...find me one I haven't got and I'll think about it!" ;)

Here's my first Frazer Nash FN150 turret (Lancaster mid-upper). This photo was taken after it had been loaned to the Air Gunners Association for a few years. They had done some basic cleaning and installed some (mostly) fake bits to make it look more complete. These are all stripped out and are lying in front of it, so what you see is pretty much the turret that I bought from a Staffordshire scrapyard in 1971 for £5. I don't recall there being any others in the yard but it's a long time ago. There were at least two Lanc undercarriage legs lying next to the turret but they were too heavy to shift!

You're right about the Wellington fuselage and there's also a Lancaster or Lincoln nose lying next to the Tempest, EJ660 - you can see the Wireless Op's position quite clearly.

Member for

24 years 2 months

International Alloys circa 1959

You would not believe how difficult it was for a teenager to identity the Neptune from available references at the time. :(

I see a couple of Tempest V's there including EJ660 and these would be the remnants of the Target Towing converted aircraft. I see codes 87? and 30.

The Wellington 6754M is formerly NC837.

I suspect a Lincoln rear end by virtue of the multitude of front ends on site.

..and the Brigand. What can you say?

A few more from the same sortie and that is probably the lot.

Mark

Attachments

Member for

24 years 2 months

A stack of Sunderland flight deck areas in the last photo, Mark?

They've got those Rebecca aerials that Peter wants, but someone has beaten him to it on the Lincoln nose!