Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D.H.98 Mosquito Photo's Please, Just Because I love looking at them.

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neilly
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jan 2000

Hi Guys,

Not your photos, Moondance, but on the original post by Stormbird. 2 of them are mine, but who cares, just good to see Mossies!!! I add any new Mosquito pics to my CD (so you can guess where all the above photos are now). I have one or two Mossie photos. However, there never seems to be much responce when I post Mosquito Photos so I don't bother any longer.

Stormbird, how can I take you seriously when you think a Spitfire is better looking than a Mosquito (I guess we should send you to SpecSavers). However, I always like a bit of a challenge & if you send me your address I'll mail you a copy of my CD. I think there will be enough Mossie stuff to keep you quite for a day or 2.

TTFN,
    Neilly

ps Dave, not forgotten, your CD will be in post later in the week.
    NH

Comment

• SteveYoung
      • Jan 2000

Suppose I'd better trot these two out again... Taken at Shuttleworth back in the late eighties. Definately between 1987 and 1989, as our ATC squadron used to do all the car park marshalling in those days and I didn't miss any shows for a couple of years. This was a formation that I mistakenly took for granted and so I didn't bother making a note of the date - would be nice if someone could tell me when it was.
      Attached Files

Comment

• MarkG
        Ymlaen!
        • Jan 2000

Originally posted by neilly
        However, there never seems to be much responce when I post Mosquito Photos so I don't bother any longer.
        Hmm. I thought the same thing when I posted this...
        http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34491
        "Don't tell him Pike!"

Hunter FGA.78 QA12

Comment

• Alex Crawford
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Oct 2004

Hi,

Excellent R/C model of the MkXVIII Tse-tse. Some background info on HX903/I for you.

Delivered to 618 Sqn Special Detachment on 3 November 1943 at Portreath. The detachment was attached to 248 Sqn at Predannack, later moved to Portreath. On 7th November Fly Off A Bonnet attacked U-123 and fired off 7 rounds before his 6 pdr gun jammed. The sub was damaged in the attack.

On the 25 March 1944 HX903/I was one of two Tse-tse that sank U-976. Two days later another U-boat, U-960, was atatcked and damged. HX903/I was hit by a 37mm AA in the nose. On 11 April U-255 was attacked.

On 9 June 1944 HX903/I was involved in a collision with a FB VI HR138/Y and crashed with the loss of Fly Off Bonnet and Fly Off McNicol.

It would be nice if either Cosford or the Mosquito Museum would convert one of their Mossies into a MK XVIII as a tribute to the crews who flew the dangerous anti-shipping strikes.

Any photos of Tse-tse's out there?

Alex
          If you don't ask, you'll never know.

https://www.facebook.com/aviationauthor

Comment

• Bruce
            Independent analyst
            • Jan 2000

As the FBXVIII was based on the FBVI, it would be impossible for the Cosford aeroplane to be so converted.

Ours is the only FBVI in Europe, so we will leave it well alone thanks!

We do however have a gun from one of these aircraft, which is displayed with the prototype.

Bruce

Comment

• snakeman
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Aug 2004

what a great plane
              Attached Files
              Phantoms Phorever !!!!
              www.thephantomshrine.co.uk

Comment

• Moondance
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by SteveYoung
                This was a formation that I mistakenly took for granted and so I didn't bother making a note of the date - would be nice if someone could tell me when it was.
                The date was 28 May 1989..first pass by the Comet/Mosquito formation...
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Moondance; 16th November 2004, 21:48.

Comment

• Moondance
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Mar 2003

Second and final pass...'cool'....I thought....like to see that again, little thinking that I was probably witnessing a bit of aviation history. Did this formation ever happen again?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Moondance; 16th November 2004, 21:49.

Comment

• Mark12
                    MEANS MOTIVE OPPORTUNITY
                    • Jan 2000

Four of the six Mosquitos at Halton 1958/59.

Mark
                    Attached Files
                    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney"

Comment

• Moondance
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Mar 2003

And finally, the Mosquito solo display on 28/5/89
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Moondance; 16th November 2004, 21:50.

Comment

• usernamechanged
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Nov 2003

Can anyone tell me why some mosquito engines have 6 stubs and some have 5(exhaust), ive obviously missed something. I thought they were merlin v12.

Comment

• Mark12
                          MEANS MOTIVE OPPORTUNITY
                          • Jan 2000

Originally posted by usernamechanged
                          Can anyone tell me why some mosquito engines have 6 stubs and some have 5(exhaust), ive obviously missed something. I thought they were merlin v12.
                          Bifurcation of the two rearmost ports.

Mark
                          "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney"

Comment

• Mark12
                            MEANS MOTIVE OPPORTUNITY
                            • Jan 2000

Salisbury Hall

A couple of rough 'snaps' for Bruce.

Very early days at Salisbury Hall in the late 1950's.

I imagine this would have been the scheme as recovered from Panshangar.

Can anybody improve on these?

Mark
                            Attached Files

Comment

• STORMBIRD262
                              Wanabee 262 pilot
                              • Jul 2004

Yes Yes Yes MORE

Wow , Fantastic , Wonderfull , Awesome , Photo's Guy's .
                              Sorry Neilly I can remember grabbing one off the plane crashes thread but can't really remember where I got the other one, I keep a few here and there so I can alway's have different desktop photo's to drool over.
                              This week's is the on steroids Stang Roo again .
                              Thank's very much for the offer mate , I'll PM you.
                              Still wondering about Jona Guy's I guess she's match stick's now , and when the formation of Mossie's was taken, and if the last op Mossie was still with us.
                              And of course anymore Mossie's photo's guy's to add here, So roll on Mossie's pic's , Cheer's all, Tally Ho! Phil :diablo: .
                              Cheer's all far and WIDE!! , Tally Ho from Phil in Oz!

WHAT GOE'S UP MUST COME DOWN

Comment

• Last Lightning
                                aka chuck yeager
                                • Feb 2004

fab photos

Just a bit of an observation but the Comet and Mosquito look very nearly the same. Are the two designs related?
                                Lightning:- one above the other for speed

http://www.flickr.com/photos/last_lightning/

Comment

• dhfan
                                  Still cantankerous
                                  • Jan 2000

As the Comet is the DH88 and the Mossie the DH98 it's a fair bet.

Comment

• Bruce
                                    Independent analyst
                                    • Jan 2000

Mark12

Thanks - those are indeed early shots! The aircraft was recovered from wherever - it had travelled rather, and was refurbished by de Havilland before going on display. The paint is fresh! The engines had been found on site, same with the cowlings as far as we can tell, and the props had been cobbled together with some scrap parts! When it went on display, the RAF were still operating Mossies, so if it was missing anything, it was tough!

Our examinations of the airframe have shown that most of the major parts do originate from W4050's flying days - the elevators were still split pinned in position, and the nacelles still have the early style nacelle hidden under the later style fairing! It really is a most interesting aircraft!

It will be repainted back into the scheme shown in Mark12's pictures. We have chosen a time and place in history on which to base its reconstruction, and have arbitrarily chosen the SBAC show at Radlett in 1946 (Date?). This is because the aircraft is in a rather different state than it was in any of its flying days. In its original short engined form, it had short nacelles, and short tailplane, neither of which we have. In its long engined form, it had the long tailplane, and long nacelles, with which it is still fitted, but had Merlin 70 series engines and cowls, which, again, we dont have! So we went for a compromise!

Phil - RG314 does not survive. The formation picture of RR299 and RS712 was taken in 1987 just before RS712 was exported to the USA.

usernamechanged - The rearmost exhausts were siamesed because in the case of the inboard set, the rearmost exhaust would not fit with the radiator where it is. This applies only to the single staged engines. It was repeated on both sides for ease of interchangeability. There is an urban myth regarding burning of the wings, but this is wrong! (Thanks Ian)

I dont have any Mossie pics on my hard drive, but would love to see some more of the same!

Cheers

Bruce

Comment

• jetman-2
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Aug 2004

Here are some rare Israeli Mosquitoes

Attached Files

Comment

• Bruce
                                        Independent analyst
                                        • Jan 2000

Excellent shots!

The top one of the TR37 is especially interesting; The wing we have for our FBVI came from TW233, which was exported to Israel. Unusually, it was a fixed, not folding wing, and it did have the hydraulic undercarriage. This is the first shot I have seen of an aeroplane that *Could* be TW233!

Bruce

Comment

• Phillip Rhodes
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • Aug 2004

Has anyone got any pictures of Mossies from No.204 AFS based at RAF Driffield they like to share?
                                          Apathy is as powerful as any bulldozer and equally cherished by developers. Others cannot measure the importance of our heritage with OUR silence.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X