Simons Sircus - Lt Cdr Simon Idiens

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 2 months

Hi All,

This is a bit of a long shot but I thought I 'd give it a try.

Back in the late 60's a Lt Cdr Simon Idiens led a Sea Vixen aerobatic team for a season (I think) called Simons Sircus (sic). My father recalls seeing them at Culdrose saying they were mighty impressive.

Anyway Simon Idiens later went on to fly the mighty Phantom in the Fleet Air Arm but was lost off the coast of Cornwall in Jan 1972 (again I think). My father says that he and his Phantom were never found.

This story has always intrigued me - don't know why, but it just has. I was just wondering if anyone has any memories of Simons Sircus, any photos or can confirm the story above that Simon/his aircraft were never found.

There is a good colour picture of the Sea Vixen's of Simons Sircus putting on a display on airliners BTW.

Many thanks

Nick

Original post

Member for

20 years 6 months

Was there someting recently on PPrune?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Phantom XT876 on 10.1.72

Both crew ejected at 15,000 ft after loss of control at altitude and entered spin at 30,000 ft 27 miles NW of St. Mawgan

Parachute malfunction resulted in death of Ldr Cmd Idiens, Lt R C O'Connor survived

Plane crashed in sea off Trevose Head, Cornwall

Member for

20 years 2 months

Hi All,

This is a bit of a long shot but I thought I 'd give it a try.

Back in the late 60's a Lt Cdr Simon Idiens led a Sea Vixen aerobatic team for a season (I think) called Simons Sircus (sic). My father recalls seeing them at Culdrose saying they were mighty impressive.

Anyway Simon Idiens later went on to fly the mighty Phantom in the Fleet Air Arm but was lost off the coast of Cornwall in Jan 1972 (again I think). My father says that he and his Phantom were never found.

This story has always intrigued me - don't know why, but it just has. I was just wondering if anyone has any memories of Simons Sircus, any photos or can confirm the story above that Simon/his aircraft were never found.

There is a good colour picture of the Sea Vixen's of Simons Sircus putting on a display on airliners BTW.

Many thanks

Nick

Sad to hear that. You will find good colour and b/w photos of "Simon's Sircus" in the books "Aerobatic Teams of the World" and "De Havilland Twin Booms" by Adrian Balch, published by Airlife Publishing. Both can be obtained through Amazon.

I saw "Simon's Sircus" perform at Yeovilton and at Farnborough in September 1968. They also appeared at Brawdy the previous month.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Adrian Balch

Wonder if he posts here, eh Albert?

Member for

20 years 2 months

Wonder if he posts here, eh Albert?

I'm sure he does, all the best people post here and I know Adrian well :rolleyes:

Member for

20 years 6 months

:D :D

Member for

24 years 2 months

A wonderful air-to-air of Simons Circus features in the Nov 04 issue of Aeroplane Monthly.

It is unusual in that it shows the 6-ship in a near vertical climb, but shows the plan view (from above) of the formation. I'm not sure if the plume is from the exhaust, or dye, or a combination.

Exciting stuff.

Member for

20 years 2 months

Terrific - thank you all for your help.

Kind regards

Nick

Member for

19 years 6 months

SIMONS SIRCUS

HI THERE NICK B ?? as it happens my father was a cpo in the fleet air arm at the time of simons sircus not only that he was part of the ground crew. Every year the navy would form an airobatic team using one of its fixed wing squadrons in 1968 it was 892 sqdrns turn then flying seasvixen FAW2S i will try to send you a few pics but if i cant then i would need your e.mail addres

Member for

19 years 6 months

SIMONS SIRCUS

HI THERE NICK B ?? as it happens my father was a cpo in the fleet air arm at the time of simons sircus not only that he was part of the ground crew. Every year the navy would form an airobatic team using one of its fixed wing squadrons in 1968 it was 892 sqdrns turn then flying seasvixen FAW2s i will try to send you a few pics but if i cant then i would need your e.mail addres s as i have a picture of their logo +a couple of shots of them in the air & if iam lucky i will be able to aquire a piccy of their sqdrn mascot(a lion CALLED SIMON) signing their book hope this helps you peter SEAVIXEN 176 P.S ONE ON ITS WAY TO YOU BUT I WILL NEED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS TO SEND ANY MORE cheers peter

Attachments

Member for

20 years 2 months

HI THERE NICK B ?? as it happens my father was a cpo in the fleet air arm at the time of simons sircus not only that he was part of the ground crew. Every year the navy would form an airobatic team using one of its fixed wing squadrons in 1969 it was 892 sqdrns turn then flying seasvixen FAW2S i will try to send you a few pics but if i cant then i would need your e.mail addres

It was 1968 actually. Here are some of my photos and some from my archives.

Member for

19 years 6 months

SEAVIXEN FAW2ssimons sircus

hi albert any chance of a bigger picture of the first group vixens with their wings folded so i can print it off :D :D cheers peter SEAVIXEN 176....

Member for

20 years 2 months

hi albert any chance of a bigger picture of the first group vixens with their wings folded so i can print it off :D :D cheers peter SEAVIXEN 176....

Regret forum will not stand a higher resolution/larger photo, but will send you a PM.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Simons Sircus

Dear Peter

I was a ground crew member of Simon Sircus A.M²(O) I was wondering if I knew your father?? My nickname was Tex. Would be great to hear from you and also would you like a picture of the blazer badge that we wore?? Let me know as I have one. (Just need to scan it!).

Regards
John (Tex) Messenger

Member for

18 years 6 months

I am searching for any photographs of Simon Idiens. Please can you let me know if you have any photos in your collections of him or if you were a friend and have photos of you both together. Thankyou, any help much appreciated.
Regards
Caroline

Member for

18 years 6 months

Badges

Here are my two badges, one for Simon Sircus and one for my Squadron. As I said before I was ground crew for Simon Sircus and it would be great to hear from other Sircus members.

Regards
John 'Tex' Messenger

Attachments

Member for

20 years 2 months

I am searching for any photographs of Simon Idiens. Please can you let me know if you have any photos in your collections of him or if you were a friend and have photos of you both together. Thankyou, any help much appreciated.
Regards
Caroline

There was a photo of Simon Idiens and the rest of the team walking the lion in the 1968 RNAS Yeovilton Air Day programme Regret, don't have it anymore but if anyone has, perhaps they could scan it?

Member for

20 years 2 months

About 3 years ago I remember reading an article about I think 'Pathe' releasing their film archive onto the internet. I had a play around on the web site and did a few searches and did indeed find footage of Simon's Sircus with a Lion Cub filmed at Yeovilton. IIRC it also included some footage of a Sea Venom (probably from the FRU) making a wheels up landing at Yeovilton that conicidentally happened whilst the film crew were filming the 'Sircus'.

I'm pretty sure it was the Pathe web site but forgive me if I'm wrong. When I get a quieter moment I'll report back after doing a bit of digging...

Member for

20 years 2 months

About 3 years ago I remember reading an article about I think 'Pathe' releasing their film archive onto the internet. I had a play around on the web site and did a few searches and did indeed find footage of Simon's Sircus with a Lion Cub filmed at Yeovilton. IIRC it also included some footage of a Sea Venom (probably from the FRU) making a wheels up landing at Yeovilton that conicidentally happened whilst the film crew were filming the 'Sircus'.

I'm pretty sure it was the Pathe web site but forgive me if I'm wrong. When I get a quieter moment I'll report back after doing a bit of digging...

Hi Nick,

Yes your right, no doubt JDK will come on with his 'British Pathe' hat on, promoting the site as its one of his (and mine) favourites. This site has some great stuff on it, but if you want a copy of any footage it costs an arm-and-a-leg even in VHS format!