Hawker Hunter

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 9 months

I was taking stock of my pictures of Hunters when I suddenly realised I was only a few models short of a full deck.

I would be really happy if I could achieve this aim so if anyone has colour photos of the following Hunters they can post I'll be your mate for life :p

What I need is:

Hunter F Mk 5 RAF
Hunter F Mk 60 Saudi Arabia
Hunter FR Mk 59 Iraq
Hunter FR Mk 74 Singapore
Hunter FR Mk 79 Abu Dhabi
Hunter T Mk 66 Lebanon
Hunter T Mk 69 Iraq
Hunter T Mk 70 Saudi Arabia
Hunter T Mk 79 Qatar
Hunter T Mk 81 Kenya

I know there is still a few to go so any help would be appreciated. If you are after any that I have please drop me a line and I'll send them on through the forum.

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

There's a lovely picture of the one and only Qatari T.79 QA13 in the book Hunters by Ray Braybrook. It's a bit naughty but I'll see if I can scan it for you.

By the way, do you have a photo of any of the Qatari FGA.78s. There were only three of them but I'm particularly interested in QA12 as I am currently restoring the cockpit section - see my avatar!

Member for

19 years 9 months

Thanks Mate, I'll post my one an only FGA.78 pics tommorrow when I get to work. Have you got a larger version of your Avatar?

Member for

19 years 9 months

Thanks Mate, I'll post my one an only FGA.78 pics tommorrow when I get to work. Have you got a larger version of your Avatar?

Member for

19 years 9 months

Member for

24 years 2 months

Just remembered I have an original Hawker photo of an F.5 (forgotten the tail number) that was used for rocket trials. Will scan that when I get home tonight too.

Member for

24 years 2 months

No problem. Yes, I have the original 8" x 10" print that was sent to me by a very nice Brigadier-General of the Qatar Emiri Air Force who used to fly this very aeroplane and was on the last Hunter Advanced course at RAF Valley :)

Member for

19 years 9 months

Hunter FGA.78

Thanks again Mark

Here is the pic of the FGA.78. Sorry the quality is not real flash.

Attachments

Member for

19 years 9 months

QA-12

Hey Mark I just realised it is QA-12 too :D

Member for

24 years 2 months

That's my girl! :D

Many thanks for posting this. You wouldn't happen to know where it was taken would you? I'm wondering if it was taken at Bournemouth after the aircraft was returned to the UK in the late '80s. If so then that'll be QA10 in the background which is now resident at the Yorkshire Air Museum.

Attached is the piccie of T.79 QA13, apparently taken in the paint shop prior to delivery to Qatar - that's QA12 in the far left corner with QA10 in the centre background.

Also attached is a larger version of my avatar.

Thanks again. :)

Attachments

Member for

19 years 9 months

Thanks Mark you're a legend. Glad I just happened to have your fine Lady.

All the best from way down south.

Member for

16 years

I was taking stock of my pictures of Hunters when I suddenly realised I was only a few models short of a full deck.

I would be really happy if I could achieve this aim so if anyone has colour photos of the following Hunters they can post I'll be your mate for life :p

What I need is:

Hunter F Mk 5 RAF
Hunter F Mk 60 Saudi Arabia
Hunter FR Mk 59 Iraq
Hunter FR Mk 74 Singapore
Hunter FR Mk 79 Abu Dhabi
Hunter T Mk 66 Lebanon
Hunter T Mk 69 Iraq
Hunter T Mk 70 Saudi Arabia
Hunter T Mk 79 Qatar
Hunter T Mk 81 Kenya

I know there is still a few to go so any help would be appreciated. If you are after any that I have please drop me a line and I'll send them on through the forum.

Hello Spiteful21 and MarkG from the Netherlands.

This evening, years after you both did post on this thread, I read it...........
At this moment I am trying to find my way in ex Dutch Hawker Hunter fates.
Amongst other the Mk.7 (later converted to Mk.T77) sold to Abu Dhabi, and from there to Somalia.... RNLAF registrationnumbers N-301 and N-312
And Hunter F Mk.6 (converted to FGA Mk.78 upgraded to FGA- Mk.9) Qatar, ex N-268 (QA-10), ex N-219 (QA-11), ex N-222 (QA-12); Hunter Mk.7 converted to Mk.79 Qatar, ex N-316 (QA-13).

Is any information on this Hunters available as far as you both know?

With kind regards
Pauljos

Member for

14 years 3 months

There's a lovely picture of the one and only Qatari T.79 QA13 in the book Hunters by Ray Braybrook. It's a bit naughty but I'll see if I can scan it for you.

By the way, do you have a photo of any of the Qatari FGA.78s. There were only three of them but I'm particularly interested in QA12 as I am currently restoring the cockpit section - see my avatar!

Today i stumbled upon a very RARE photo of QA13 on display at the air base in Doha.

It is on the website for the National Air and Space Museum in Paris. The thread topic was photos of aircraft on pylons etc and there is just one photo there from Qatar. I was amazed when i saw it.

Apart from the other photo above of QA13 in the hangar i have seen no others. There are short film clips though, which are good to view. Very short in duration and obviously from the 1970's and early 1980's in Qatar.

I believe this photo is dated 1991.

http://aama.museeairespace.fr/le-coin-du-spotter/les-avions-pot-de-fleur/qatar.html

DesertBlooms

Member for

14 years 3 months

hi

A note about retired QEAF Hawker Hunter QA11 ( formerly N219 Dutch Air Force )

This aircraft has been sat by the side of the runway at Doha for many years now but just recently it appears to have been moved.

A photo link showing the aircraft at Doha
http://s81.photobucket.com/user/JochenH1982/media/IMG_4102-1.jpg.html

The old Hunter, which was abandoned after a landing incident years ago, was parked near to some kind of fire fighting training aid at the end of runway 34.
Recently the area has been taken over by construction vehicles and as can be seen from the video, the Hunter is gone.

Before - YouTube clip from 2013
http://youtu.be/veH66x8QPb0?t=4s

After - YouTube clip from 2014
http://youtu.be/dXTCPYZZoyo?t=3m54s

I wonder where to?

DesertBlooms

Member for

14 years 3 months

This satellite view ( note, map orientation is looking south ) shows position of retired QEAF aircraft at Doha

1 - QEAF Westland Whirlwind ( on display inside main gate for air base )
2 - QEAF Mirage F1 ( on display outside main gate for air base )
3 - QEAF Hawker Hunter T.79 QA13 ( on display inside air base )
4 - QEAF Hawker Hunter FGA78 QA11 ( since moved )

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=n65y7bn8ym9r&lvl=16&dir=180&sty=o&sp=Point.n65rs5n8ytwq_Westland%2520Whirlwind____~Point.n65rxcn8yxdc_Retired%2520QEAF%2520Mirage%2520F1____~Point.n665pbn8ynwp_Retired%2520QEAF%2520Hawker%2520Hunter%2520T.79%2520(%2520two%2520seater%2520)____~Point.n6597xn8y29d_Retired%2520QEAF%2520Hawker%2520Hunter%2520FGA78%2520(%2520single%2520seater%2520)____&form=LMLTCC

DesertBlooms