Sunderland in Lake Windermere

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 9 months

Anyone got any idea of the history of the Sunderland found in the north of Lake Windermere by Dive the World?

[URL=http://www.divetheworld.com/Stories/index.htm

They also seem to have found what looks like a P-47 in the same area. The closed canopy suggests to me it should be considered a war grave.

Original post

Member for

19 years 9 months

Ta matey, I had a feeling it was old news.

Member for

19 years 10 months

Will Someone Raise It?

The 1999 forum suggests it's in reasonable condition. Is there any update?
Does anyone plan on raising it?
(That is if there's any money left after the Vulcan, various Spitfire rebuilds, and the perpetual Blenheim restoration/rebuild/repair.)

Member for

24 years 2 months

there was some debate as to whether it was a hoax.

Member for

19 years 9 months

Hi Troops :o)

Has anyone realised yet, that the 'Windermere Sunderland' is actually upside down?
That alone makes the possibility of raising it, a very formidable task.
Personally, I feel that there are many more worthy causes to consider, before putting what could be a rather small fortune in it's possible recovery!
In reality, there should have been more effort in keeping what was our only 'Flying Sunderland' here in the UK, rather than let it stew in Florida! How about an effort to buy that back! A far more worthy cause in my mind!!

Mike.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Doesn't look upside down to me, in the pic on the original thread.

Member for

19 years 9 months

Upside Down?
Well after being in the commercial diving world for the last 36 years and having seen many sonar pictures of all sorts of stuff, my interpretation of the few small pictures shown in the Aircraft mags, leads me to see it as being upside down.
As always, I could be wrong. We will see, if and or when, someone comes up with some good video. However my consideration still stands. There are many more worthy causes out there!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Huh ? You actually think this image is real ? . Take a look at the sonar of the 'P-47' on the same site [divetheworld.com]

Dave

Member for

21 years

Micheal

Looks the right way up to me, I can make out the cockpit and from turret mounting.

Both it and the P47 are fakes however.

Member for

13 years 2 months

any more news on this submarine Sunderland recently?