Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some pictures my Grandfather gave me (warning large pics).

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul Rix
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Aug 2003

Some pictures my Grandfather gave me (warning large pics).

My Grandfather was in the RAF in the late 1920's/early 30's and then again for the duration of WW2. He was an MT Fitter specializing in Diesel engines. He must have been friendly with somone in the Photographic section at Bicester (I think).. he gave me some photos he had collected during his time there in the early 30's.

This is a picture of My Grandfather taken in 1940. His name was Albert Rix. He was a great guy. We lost him in 1999 aged 89 years.

moved pics to a different server
    Last edited by Paul Rix; 2nd June 2004, 20:37.
  • JDK
    JDK
    Mr Tweed
    • Sep 2003

Hi Paul,
    Great pics. If they are of Bicester (I think so, but don't have info to compare to hand) the ones showing the airfield would be great to share with DLO Caversfield; that's the guys basedcurrently in the old domestic quarters.

If you are happy to share, I could (I think!) put you in touch with the chap who's covering the history of the airfield.

Cheers
    James K

Looking and thinking...
    Vintage Aero Writer: Blog & Details

Comment

• Paul Rix
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Aug 2003

I am perfectly happy to share. The pictures posted above are all I have though. I can scan them in at a higher resolution though if needed.

Comment

• Ray Jade
        Rank User
        • Apr 2004

Great pics
        "Don't try and tell me that if you push 300 tons of metal at 200 miles an hour it'll go up, 'cause that's just silly"

Comment

• Andy in Beds
          Hawker Aircraft Fan
          • Oct 2003

Great..

Paul
          These are great.
          Thanks for posting.
          Can anyone identify the aircraft in the first picture.
          The one nosed over?
          All the best
          Andy
          It is better to be born a beggar than a fool.

Comment

• Papa Lima
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Mar 2004

My guess is a Hawker Horsley
            "Aviation is a useless and expensive fad advocated by a few individuals whose ideas are unworthy of attention."
            Chief of the Imperial General Staff, Sir W. G. Nicholson

Comment

• Flood
              • Jun 2003

Most of the pix show Harts of 33 Sqn, and since 33 Sqn was the first squadron to change to Harts, from Horsleys, in January 1930 it is a fairly good chance that the crashed aircraft is a Horsley (but that is all I can contribute there!).
              Of those pix I could be bothered to retrieve the registration from:-
              K2438 Hart with 33 Sqn 21/3/32, to 652M 28/6/35
              K2429 Hart with 33 Sqn 29/2/32, to 57Sqn 29/11/35
              K1432 Hart with 33 Sqn 2/12/30, SOC 1/12/33
              K2441? Hart with 33 Sqn? (My source has it being with 18 Sqn until it collided with K2451 at, 5/5/36, then to 887M 9/36. The picture does make it look like a 1 but I am open to persuasion! K2440, and K2442-43 all served with 33 Sqn, so it could be that this one has not been previously recorded.)
              Info from Air Britains The K File.

Flood.

Comment

• Paul Rix
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Aug 2003

Wow, thanks for the info Flood. My grandfather spoke only of the Fairey III F and I assumed that was what the photos were of. Looking at them again with this new knowledge the Hawker lineage is pretty obvious. Was 33 Sqn based at Bicester?
                Last edited by Paul Rix; 29th May 2004, 00:50.

Comment

• Paul Rix
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Aug 2003

I took a closer look at the 1st photograph. My grandfater has written on the back "Hawker Hawsly Weston Zoyland Somerset" Tail number is K(I think)8004.

Comment

• Arm Waver
                    Certified...
                    • Mar 2004

Looking at the aerial shots and having worked at DLO (formerly DCTA) Caversfield I would say that they are Bicester. K2441(?) is almost certainly over Bicester as the curling line on the left is the railway they had on base and matches the maps I have seen. Also the aerial view of just the site also matches what I know of the site. Fantastic!!! So nice to see the airfield in it's proper use and before full expansion (and arrival of the prototype Halifax for her maiden flight).
                    Thanks again.
                    OAW
                    It is only kinky the first time...

Comment

• Arm Waver
                      Certified...
                      • Mar 2004

Forgot I some information on the PC here...
                      33 Squadron were at Bicester from November 1930 until November 1934.
                      It is only kinky the first time...

Comment

• Moggy C
                        • Jan 2000

Great! Thanks.

Moggy
                        "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Comment

• Mark12
                          MEANS MOTIVE OPPORTUNITY
                          • Jan 2000

(warning large pics)

Even though on Broadband, am I alone in not being able to see the shots posted by Paul Rix?

I just get a blank space without the customary periphery line. I tried leaving it for 10 minutes just in case it was a file size problem.

Mark
                          "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney"

Comment

• Papa Lima
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Mar 2004

I have broadband here in Sweden and can see them without problems.
                            "Aviation is a useless and expensive fad advocated by a few individuals whose ideas are unworthy of attention."

Comment

• Swiss Mustangs
                              • May 2004

Hi - it works on dial-up (*yawn* ) and broadband here in Switzerland.

Cheers
                              Martin / Swiss Mustangs

Comment

• JDK
                                JDK
                                Mr Tweed
                                • Sep 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even though on Broadband, am I alone in not being able to see the shots posted by Paul Rix?

I just get a blank space without the customary periphery line. I tried leaving it for 10 minutes just in case it was a file size problem
                                Looks like your PC is editing what you can see again Mark!

Fine on my dialup at home (slow) and broadband at work. It's YOU!
                                James K

Looking and thinking...

Comment

• Mark12
                                  MEANS MOTIVE OPPORTUNITY
                                  • Jan 2000

Selective editing?

Originally posted by JDK
                                  Looks like your PC is editing what you can see again Mark!

Fine on my dialup at home (slow) and broadband at work. It's YOU!
                                  James.

I have tried switching on/off the pop up function on the anti-spam that was denying the access to the images on the Pathe site but no joy this time. I am puzzled why it is just this one particular shot from Paul Rix. That is assuming that there was no image with the first post of the latest quiz by 'bisfit'. I see the Mosquito on the second post.

http://forum.airforces.info/showthread.php?t=26349

Many thanks,

Mark

P.S. - Hatton's Lancaster Avatar flies some days but not the next. Hmmm!
                                  Last edited by Mark12; 1st June 2004, 10:08.
                                  "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney"

Comment

• JDK
                                    JDK
                                    Mr Tweed
                                    • Sep 2003

Mark,
                                    I'd guess your ISP is short changing you on service...

But that's a guess!
                                    James K

Looking and thinking...

Comment

• Flood
                                      • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Paul Rix
                                      I took a closer look at the 1st photograph. My grandfater has written on the back "Hawker Hawsly Weston Zoyland Somerset" Tail number is K(I think)8004.
                                      K8004 was a Gladiator delivered to 72Sqn 6/8/37 - a bit late given the info you've told us about your grandfather.
                                      J8004 was a Horsley MkII, and was with HAD (Home Aircraft Depot - a storage unit or something?) 3/27, possibly at RAF Henlow, then 100Sqn 4-5/27, HAD 6/27, 100Sqn 5/28, and NFF (Night Flying Flight - probably at RAF Biggin Hill, which looks like it was a unit assisting anti-aircraft batterys with their training, amongst other things) 4/29. Then nothing else in Air Britains The J File.
                                      BUT...The NFF held practise camps at Weston Zoyland - Air Britains RAF Flying Training and Support Units gives the dates for the summer camp as being between 25/5/29 and 8/9/29 - so maybe this was an incident that occured there?
                                      Interesting.

Of course all this info sounds so anal and probably makes me appear to be a boring bookworm PLEASE DON'T ANSWER THAT!

Flood.

Comment

• Papa Lima
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Mar 2004

I gladly admit to being a boring bookworm - with only Ryanair 4 flights a day visible in the far distance from my balcony, what else can I do to get my aviation fixes?! Apart of course from devouring the Forum!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                        X