Lightning XM135, inadvertant flight by W/Cdr Holden

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 9 months

Does anyone have any information re this incident, when W/Cdr Walter Holden, whilst carrying out engines runs to trace a fault in XM135, found himself in full reheat running allong a runway at Lynham. Forced to lift it off the ground, without canopy or flying equipment (to avoid a fuel tanker I think), he managed to put it down after four attempts, with only minor damage to the tail.

XM135 is of course the EE Lightning at Duxford.

I read about this incident sometime in the early eighties in a copy of 'Mayfair', the well-know adult art magazine - I bought it for the Lightning article honest!!

I mentioned this incident to Steve Young at Hendon yesterday, & he'd never heard of it.

I tried a spot of Googling, without much luck. All I could find was this http://www.lightning.org.uk/archive/0303.php .

Geoff.

Original post

Member for

21 years 1 month

Yup, well known incident. It reasonably well covered in several of the Lightning books, can't remember of top of my head which ones.
I do remember that he did have some limited flying experience in the past (which is why he was able to make a damn good job of getting back on the ground again)but not in anything like a Lightning.....!!!

Member for

20 years 4 months

The tale of Taff Holden piloting the Lightning features in a book called 'Drama in the Air' by John Beattie (No, not THAT John Beattie!) published in 1989 by Robson Books Ltd. It gets 10 pages out of 223 and describes the incident fairly well..

ISBN Number is 0-86051-564-8

Member for

20 years 3 months

its also in a flypast mag. quite a few years ago though.

Member for

20 years 9 months

Thanks for the info, but is there anything worthwhile on the 'net re this incident?

Geoff.

Member for

20 years 8 months

There is also a really good bit(p126 127) on the subject in AIRCRASH by Andrew Brookes. Some excellent quotes from Taffy Holden.

Member for

21 years

Hi All

Ok heres a bit about said incedent.

It happened on July 22nd 1966 while XM135 was at 33 MU at Lyneham. The aircraft had a persistant electrical problem that only showed itself under aceleration. So Wg Cdr Walter "Taff" Holden decided to undertake some ground tests to see if he could find the problem. The canopy was removed and the ground locks were in place Taff had a set of pilots notes with him in the cockpit he was strapped in but the safty pins were in. A couple of short bursts down the run way showed nothing so taff decided to give it a bit more speed. As he opened the throttels he accidentally pushed them through the gate into reheat. At first he thought the trottles had jammed but by the time he figured out what was happeneing he was out of runway and was left with only one choice to take XM135 for a quick spin round the airfield. This wouldnt be too much of a problem except that Taff had only done a few hours on a tiger moth. He couldnt call the tower as he only had on ear defenders and he couldnt eject as the seat was safe. After a couple of failed attempts after 12 minutes he landed.

Scott C

Member for

20 years 3 months

i wonder if theirs any pictures of it?

Member for

20 years 8 months

Needless to say:

All flight sims seemed tame to him after that...

The 'persistant electrical fault' failed to show on W/C Holden's flight, but no doubt after the a/c was back in service!

Cheers

Member for

21 years

Hi JDK

Yep your right it went back into service and the fault came back again.

Scott C

Member for

24 years 4 months

Oh. its those green little men I tell you, they did it....

(thinks to myself - what a wonderful tale!)

Member for

19 years

Lightning XM135 Flight

To the person enquiring about the above subject title,
I am willing to add full facts about the inadvertent flight of XM135 Lightning by Wg. Cdr. W.V.Holden. I am that same person! Taffy Holden, Nantwich, Cheshire

Member for

20 years 3 months

WOW a real life Lightning legend on here!

Walter, any truth in the story that you did a few extra circuits because you were having such a good time! :D

Member for

24 years 4 months

Welcome aboard the forum Sir !
It's a story that has facinated Lightning fans for years (me included)
I suspect you are about to be bombarded with questions :D

best regards,
Phil.

Member for

19 years

i do work at duxford every wednesday and i've sat in that lightening and on the panel there's a little plaque commerating what happened.

Member for

20 years 2 months

I am willing to add full facts about the inadvertent flight of XM135 Lightning by Wg. Cdr. W.V.Holden. I am that same person! Taffy Holden, Nantwich, Cheshire

Welcome to the Forum. I guess this is what many of come here for. Historical events and the people that made them.

I take it that OC Lyneham was either very impressed or understanding. Is there such a charge as taking and flying away?

Member for

20 years 9 months

Blimey! I'd forgotten all about this thread.

Walter, many thanks for responding to the thread. Anything you have to say about this incident will be most welcome.

Do you ever get down to Duxford to see 'your' Lightning? I'm sure you would be most welcome at one of our occaisional forum meets, especially if it was at Duxford. Now wouldn't that make a great group photo in front of XM135.

Geoff.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Kudos to you sir, for getting yourself down from a predicament in which many others would most likely have perished! One heck of a story for when you're sitting around the campfire with your kids...

Mark

Member for

21 years

Hi Walter

Welcome to the forum

As a Lightning owner id love to hear your own side of the story.

Scott C

Member for

20 years 7 months

Welcome to the forum.
This story is of Lightning and R.A.F Legend now but at the time it must have been as scary as hell.
I would love to hear the story from your side also and i wonder if you have flown anything else jet wise since.

Member for

19 years 7 months

welcome to the forum - id love to hear this story as well. Thanx