Corsair Gathering shots...

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 5 months

Some stuff I shot at the Corsair Gathering last year....just gathering dust....

Original post

Member for

20 years 5 months

And another....

Member for

20 years 5 months

And yet another...

Member for

20 years 5 months

Commentary to follow...

Member for

20 years 5 months

and more...

Member for

20 years 5 months

Dale Snodgrass doing some low stuff...

Member for

20 years 5 months

A mini Corsair gathering....

Member for

20 years 5 months

And last....for now...Steve Bakke's F4U-5...

Member for

20 years 5 months

The ones I did'nt comment on show Bill Muszala in the cockpit of the Corsair he flew in the show (I believe it was Max Chapman's Green and white F4U-4, the former N240CA, familiar to you guys in the UK)...All the shots of #5, Jim Read's dash 5 model, show it being piloted by Dale Snodgrass, who made some EXCEPTIONAL low passes during the show....and the other photo shows some of the aces (including Bob McClurg, Boyington's wingman, shown rather prominently in the center of the photo) signing autographs for some Corsair fans.

Mark

Member for

20 years 8 months

Nice pics Mark thanks for sharing, Brings back memories of Summer

Member for

20 years 7 months

TAM Museum

The TAM Museum example has a new coat of paint and looks superb. Its currently in the TAM shed at Sao Paulo awaiting a move to the museum location. Watch out for this place (due to open next year) it will be fantastic. Over 54 aircraft in the collection inc Corsair, Spit, Me109, Fw190 (Flugwerk) and they are still collecting..

http://www.museutam.com.br/aeronaves/galeria_detalhe.asp?pos=sub21&cod_aeronave=chance_vought_f4u1_corsair

(Had to use thier web link to show you as I can't get my picture to load..)

Member for

20 years 5 months

Does anyone know, are they gonna keep flying these birds or are they permanently grounded? Getting a new-build Focke Wulf would suggest they might fly them....or so I'm hoping.

The Corsair, an early 'birdcage' variant (the only one extant), looks THOROUGHLY appropriate in VF-17 markings...nice job, TAM!

Mark

Member for

20 years 7 months

Oh they are going to fly all they can, and yes that includes the Fw190. The kit is already there and the guys spoke of it being fantastic quality, its just they have so much on their plate at the moment. They are also trying to get the AirForce to hand over one of their gate guard P47's to restore to flying status.

The whole Museum is the result of the owner of TAM (now Brazil's largest airline). He has pushed it all the way eventually securing a location just outside Sao Paulo for the building. Honestly - I've seen the plans and the model in their office - it will be fantastic. Each aircraft will be set in an appropriate diorama worthy in quality to the very best movie set. And what's more they will hold several air shows each year along the lines of a mini Duxford's FL. There will also be a deep maintenance base for their Airbus fleet on the same location giving the public the opportunity to see airliners naked via a system of suspended walkways.

Also because of their status as an airline and them having every maintenance certification available they can rebuild almost anything to flying status (under a Brazilian reg). So maybe watch out for some interesting rebuilds to come out of this otherwise obscure part of the world.

So all you need to do is talk the wife into a holiday in Rio with a stop over in Sao Paulo - well its such a long flight - you're a fool if you don't break up the trip..

;-)

Oh and make sure you fly TAM!!!

Member for

20 years 5 months

Hmmmm...wildly interesting! Sounds like, when they get those shows up and going, it might be worth a jaunt down there to check it out and see the place. Good news!

Mark

Member for

16 years 8 months

Not Bill Muszala

Hi Mark,
Nice shots but not Bill Muszala im afraid, dont know who that is. I worked for Bill Muszala and he is the owner of ATW aviation in Marana AZ.

mike

Member for

19 years 5 months

DOH! There's me thinking I missed another one, but this post is actualy ANCIENT! :D