Aircrew training policy 1943 onwards

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

It has always struck me as odd that even before Stalingrad was fought and won by the Russians,our airstaff caused a massive reduction in aircrew training to be put in hand. ie BEFORE IT WAS EVEN
HALF CLEAR that Germany was a beaten entity

Question Were they aware as early as mid 43 that
atomic weapons were well on the way ? Given that even in 43 it took 18-24 months to train a heavy
bomber pilot it certainly seems someone chose to
pull the plug. Any ideas anyone?

Original post

RE: Aircrew training policy 1943 onwards

What massive reduction in 1943? I am aware that in late 44 there was a slow down but at no time did the pipeline stop. As the war ground on and Bomber Command losses fell there arose an operational aircrew surplus so the training pipeline was amended. It was also obvious by late 44 that the war in Europe was not going to last much longer, the set back at Arnhem delayed the end.

RE: Aircrew training policy 1943 onwards

Re Cowtowns comments posted 15 Sept. The 'massive slow down'
was evident at Air Training Corps Level where prospective aircrew candidates were already being told that deferement would be for a year at least. My stepfather, a Pathfinder Signals Leader recalled a conversation with AVM Bennettin Mid 43 wherein the AVM made references to the training slow down then promptly posted Cookie to Canada to transfer from being a back seater to the front office

I seem to recall various celebrity aircrew to be being offloaded as Bevin boys and the like