Spitfire queeries...

Read the forum code of contact

Have any decisions been made as to the future of the South African MkIX Spitfire that crashed last April?I know the damage was pretty severe,but is there ANY chance that it may fly again?
Secondly,does anyone know what the small button in the centre of the spade-grip control column of early mark Spits was for?I know it cant be for rocket firing,so is it perhaps a radio button??(and no I'm not talking about the brass ringed firing button)I've seen it in diagrams and original wartime photos,so it isn't some modern addition.

Original post

RE: Spitfire queeries...

I understand that it is going to be rebuilt to fly. Apparently this was the reason behind the SAAF Museums decision to offer their Beaufighter for sale.

The button in the centre of the spade handle according to the book "In the Cockpit" was the gun camera button.

Hi- I think that the Spitfire will not be rebuilt. The damage was very severe and I think that the Beaufighter was sold to fund the restoration of a Mustang for the Israeli Air Force Museum in return for which the South African's will receive a Spitfire LF.lX.

Yeah I've just been looking at some pics of the SAAF Spit and she certainly looked a mess.I would be surprised if she were rebuilt to fly.
It just so happens that i've got one or two more Spits that I'd like to know the fates of.
Firstly,MkXVI TE100.This aircraft was painted all-black and was airworthy with the RAF into the late 50's until it was retired to ground duties.Was it scrapped or is it in storage somewhere?I certainly have seen no mention of it in todays listings.
Secondly MkIX's MH415 & MK297.Both these Spits flew for the cameras in 'The Longest Day' in the mid-60's.Again I can find no trace of them in todays listings.Over to you...

On the contrary, plans are afoot to rebuild the spitfire as we speak. The fuselage is being done in South Africa, and they are looking for someone to contract for the wings. It is certainly a mess, but I have seen a lot of aircraft start from a lot lot less!!

MK297 was the Confederate air force machine, destroyed in the fire at CWH. MH415 is still around - off the top of my head last seen in Texas. I'm sure someone will tie it down more precisely than that!