Swamp Spit??

Read the forum code of contact

I caught the end of a programme called Flightline on Discovery Travel & Adventure last night - concerning the excavation of a ditched spitfire somewhere in a crocodile infested swamp in Oz. The excavation was being carried oput by the R.A.A.F.
Does anyone have any further info on this excavation??
Cheers Kev

Original post

RE: Swamp Spit??

I believe your aircraft may be a Spitfire recovered from the Kimberley region of Western Australia. The aircraft now resides at the RAAF Museum at Point Cook Victoria.
I flew Helicopters in the aforementioned region and believe the aircraft to be pulled out of Spitfire Creek which is the local name given to the location. Approximate location 1517S 12505E.
I will try to find some more information for you. Stay posted.
Andy.

The Spit was recovered some years ago now and was very corroded but it is or was in a tank of water at RAAF Museum Point Cook pending restoration Most parts were recovered at the time but it will be quite a job to restore it as it was a real mess. It was operated by a UK Pilot whose name escapes me at present but I believe it was from 452 Sqn and crashed owing to lack of fuel as the pilot was lost - not hard to do in that part of the world !!

I believe that the pilot survived the ordeal and that he was rescued and all was well but I have further documentation on it if anyone is interested.

I cannot speak for the RAAFM but I believe that the Spit has to wait for the Walrus and Mossie to be finished before they get to it.

Member for

24 years 3 months

BR545 .Pilot F/O Derek Gray. 54Sqd. Currently rotting at RAAF Point Cook.