Warbird Simulators??

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Just an idea,but has anyone thought about creating simulators specifically for the warbird market?These powerful piston engine aircraft are surely some of the most challenging machines to fly,and it would seem sensible to have some way of familiarising new pilots or refreshing old ones without putting them straight in at the deep end.It would be particularly useful for training pilots on potent single seaters like the SeaFury or Bearcat who would otherwise have to simply read the manual and go flying.
Then there's the simulated emergencies etc.etc.All in all,it sounds like a good idea,but I have no idea of the economics of operating a simulator or building and programming the things in the first place. How practical would something like this be??
It's late,so I wouldn't be surprised if this idea sounds ridiculous in the morning,but I just thought I'd put it up for debate.

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

The university I work for is looking at this very idea as part of our new range of education programmes on the safety management of historic aircraft operations.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Hi Ant,

Take a look at this site. Their forum is quite interesting, too. It's seem the warbirds are constantly being updated, so they're as realistic as possible. However, not being a player I don't know just how good it is, but my mate in Australia rates it very highly.

http://agw.warbirdsiii.com/bbs/

Cheers,
Neilly