Battle of Britain pubs

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 9 months

We all know that the local for Biggin Hill during WW2 was the famous White Hart with the signed chalk blackboard. What about the other BOB airfields? I'm local to Northolt...anyone know what was the favoured aircrew pub..if there was one? The Chequers in Fowlmere ( a very nice pub..highly recommended ) has links with the USAF...what about all the others. Great opportunity for in depth research here I think.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi Slicer

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure The Orchard in Ruislip was Northolt's "local". They had a memorial in the beer garden untill it was nicked a few years ago. They're now raising money to buy a FSM of a spitfire to display as a memorial.

I'll pop in and see what is says on the display as I'm only down the road.

Peter

Member for

24 years 3 months

The Red Lion at Whittlesford of course. Duxford's local.

And it sells Adnams :)

Moggy

Member for

20 years 10 months

The Hornchurch boys used 'The Kings Head' at Chigwell.

Member for

21 years

Slicer, I'm local to Northolt as well, I'm pretty sure the previous post about the Orchard is correct, although it's not 'that local' to the airfield.
You would have thought the recently demolished 'Tally Ho' just off the airfield boundary would seem to be the more logical choice but I can't remember what it's original name was........perhaps though, it was 'too close' to the airfield for comfort...;)

Member for

20 years 9 months

Yes, the Tally Ho would be much too close to the airfield....no time to get the old MG TC properly warmed up and nowhere to exercise the labrador !
Keep 'em coming, guys