NWM

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

This could be a sign of a growing trend...first Kalamazoo...and in light of recent US events, although not a wholly contributing factor, the National Warplane Museum is scaling back indefinetly. Check out thier website for more information. There is also legislation being shuttled through our government that should be viewed on aero-news.net...it would render all US built surplus military material be destroyed...including a/c.

Jim

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: NWM

Jim, do you have the NWM's url at all?

Member for

24 years 3 months

>Jim, do you have the NWM's
>url at all?

Sorry about that guys

www.warplane.org

Jim

Member for

24 years 3 months

Jim, I'm speechless. :o

The NWM having to close its doors is bad enough (although it looks like they're determined to come through it. Good luck guys!), but this lunacy about ex-military equipment is just unbelievable. x(

I'm surprised nobody else has commented on it - go take a look folks; www.aero-news.net

Member for

24 years 3 months

It amazes me at how far the Warbird movement has come since the early seventies. I have sat and read all these posts about recovering aircraft from remote parts of the world. The fact that it is possible to take a data plate and manufacture a new aircraft around it shows how far we have come in a short 30 years. It speaks to the testament of these individuals will go to, not only to provide themselves with an aircraft, but to give us, joe public, a beautifully historic (in its own right) machine to admire.

Owners and operators have gone to extreme lengths to ensure these aircraft are rebuilt and maintained to in most cases better than new condition. There are how many WWII era American aircraft undergoing active restoration around the globe?...give or take around 100-150. How many years and $'s did Kermit Weeks expel on his P-51C. Now...with a few pen strokes an entire industry and history will render the "few" as expensive rebuilt scrap metal. The loss being incalcuable, in both dollars and an historical sense. We need to mobilize once again and let the powers that be know that this is a travisty of our rights. The names of congressmen are posted on aero-news.net and I encourage all of us (British, Australian, South African, French, German and Americans alike) to email these guys with our concerns. I hope that Flypast will take a stance with its publishing voice as well.

It is also sobering to think that I live near the active end Akron Municipal airport...(where 60 years ago Goodyear Corsairs flowed out of the large factory buildings) and since last Tuesday there has been nary a bird flying from the field. I know things will soon return to normal and this legislation will probably be defeated...but nothing is garaunteed as we have all seen. Don't take our history for granted..it seems our government is bent on melting it down!!

Jim Harley

Member for

24 years 3 months

For me, the most worrying aspect of this is that most US legislation eventually makes its way over here. It would be so easy for us in the UK to hide our heads in the sand and pretend that it doesn't / won't / can't affect us, but the danger is that if it passes into law in the US, it won't be long in coming here.

As Jim says, many people have spent innumerable hours and dollars restoring these aircraft as living memorials to the men who flew them. How these people must be feeling now. I'm off to spend a few hours helping rebuild a warbird over here tonight, and in light of this news, I'll be doing so with a heavy heart. I'd echo Jim's plea; lobby, push, cajole and persuade those in power that this bill is wrong.