Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ARCo Lysander flies!

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tin Triangle
    Bright Young Thing

ARCo Lysander flies!

Looks like V9312 had a successful flight test at Duxford yesterday!

https://www.facebook.com/aircraftres...type=3&theater

Just bought my ticket for the September airshow, so here's hoping!

EDIT: Apologies, for some reason forgot to look on the Duxford Diary thread!
    Last edited by Tin Triangle; 29th August 2018, 08:16.
    Armchair enthusiast, but also a fan of sofas and recliners.
  • Propstrike
    Rank 5 Registered User

No apologies needed. After 25 years graft, it surely deserves its own thread !

ARC have received many plaudits over the years, but still so well deserved.

I am reminded of the amazing sight perhaps 20 years ago of THREE Lysanders in formation at Flying Legends. Maybe we can see it again one day.............

https://farm8.static.flickr.com/7271...2932212f_b.jpg ( photo of formation )

Comment

• blurrkup
      Rank 5 Registered User

It's great news. It would be nice to see 3 Lysanders again, but one thing we will hopefully hear again is the sound of 6 Mercury engines flying together in the shape of the Blenheim, 2 Lysanders and 2 Gladiators.

Comment

• Tin Triangle
        Bright Young Thing

Definitely! I'd love one day to see a Flying Legends sequence simulating an early-war mission in the Med, with the Blenheim and two Lysanders being attacked by the 109e and CR42, with two Gladiators and a flight or two of Hurricanes beating them off. What a sight that would be! (Oh, and throw in Swordfish W5856 for good measure...)
        Armchair enthusiast, but also a fan of sofas and recliners.

Comment

• Flygirl
          Flak Bait

The Lysander looks stunning, well done to all involved. :-)
          Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude.

http://planemadanna.blogspot.co.uk/

The first quality needed is audacity

Comment

• cas
            cas
            Rank 5 Registered User

25 years .......!! Work began on V9312 back in 2005 with the wings in building 66 with the fuselage following on later.
            I think there may be some confusion with ARCo restoring the IWM Lysander before that
            pb::

Comment

• Propstrike
              Rank 5 Registered User

I am sure you are right. I had an awareness of a Lysander lurking in a shed for a great many years, just did not twig that the airframe was actually not the same..

Comment

• Firebird
                Avons with attitude

I am reminded of the amazing sight perhaps 20 years ago of THREE Lysanders in formation at Flying Legends.
                Indeed, I was there.

One was Shuttleworths obviously, and one the now grounded Sabena Oldtimers Lizzie, but who owned the third one and what happened to it....?
                I was with it all the way until letting the brakes off..........

Comment

• kieran9278
                  Rank 5 Registered User

The other one was ARCo's first Lysander, was it not? Sold to Kermit Weeks and, shock, hasn't flown for quite a long time.

Comment

• Archer
                    Innocent bystander

I took this photo at Kermit's Fantasy of Flight in 2002, I guess this was V9312 before ARCo got their hands on it.

IM000827_resize by Jelle Hieminga, on Flickr
                    A Little VC10derness - A Tribute to the Vickers VC10 - www.VC10.net

Comment

• trumper
                      Rank 5 Registered User

Looks like the Sabinas old timers one is for sale so maybe 3 in formation one day could happen https://www.pressreader.com/uk/pilot...82432759631170

Comment

• Archer
                        Innocent bystander

That article states that it's the Canadian example that's for sale. The Sabena Old Timers foundation does have a partially restored Lodestar for sale but I cannot find anything recent about their Lysander.

Comment

• Sopwith
                          Rank 5 Registered User

Archer I think you’ll find Kermit’s is a different one, I helped dismantle it at PPS for shipping to him and as far as I know he still has it.

Comment

• Ant.H
                            Rank 5 Registered User

IIRC, the Weeks Lysander used to be owned by Wessex Aviation rather than ARCo (although ARCo operated it)? Fondly remember Lee Proudfoot's sprightly displays in it back in the 90's. It hasn't flown since leaving the UK.

Congratulations again to everyone on V9312!
                            Last edited by Ant.H; 3rd September 2018, 20:03.
                            "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease." Sergei Sikorsky

Comment

• David Burke
                              Rank 5 Registered User

The photograph looks very much like G-BCWL on arrival.

Comment

• JohnTerrell
                                Rank 5 Registered User

Archer's photo is of Lysander V9545, which Kermit Weeks still has (coded BA-C), which was G-BCWL when based/flying in the UK. It has not flown ever since being brought to the US. It spent a number of years on static display at the Florida Air Museum, but then four years ago Weeks had it removed from there and it has been disassembled in storage at Fantasy of Flight ever since.

The ARCo Lysander V9312 (G-CCOM), which has now just flown (for the first time since December 1944), was also owned for a time by Kermit Weeks, prior to ARCo acquiring it in 2003. From what I've read, no restoration work had ever been performed on it prior to ARCo acquiring it in 2003.

Unfortunately, due to Kermit Weeks having owned both V9312 and V9545 (the one he still owns), there are a lot of photos on the web of V9545 that are incorrectly labeled as being V9312.

Comment

• Archer
                                  Innocent bystander

I think that it is V9312 in my photo. I took that photo in March 2002 and according to the article trumper linked to, V9312 moved to ARCo in December 2003, via Fantasy of Flight. Also, if you compare the photo on V9312's Warbird Registry page here: http://www.warbirdregistry.org/lizzi...zie-v9312.html with mine, I can see some similarities.

Comment

• Roobarb
                                    Rank 5 Registered User

It is G-BCWL in your photo Archer. Believe me I know as I've been in the company and around Duxford for a long long time and have intimate knowledge of V9312. The latter had no wood or fabric covering when we acquired it from Kermit and BCWL was actually painted by us here at Duxford into that scheme when we were operating it on behalf of Brian Woodford.

Hope this clarifies the issue.

Roobarb

Comment

• scotavia
                                      scotavia

Much is written about the Lysander and SOE, however,in terms of hours flown and lives saved there is the role of search and rescue.
                                      This extract gives background
                                      https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...escuer&f=false

Comment

• SE5AFAN
                                        Essex boy

Would be nice to have a credit for my photo Propstrike. Cheers
                                        Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                        X