Hawker Hurricane wooden section location help please

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 3 months

Hi
Would anyone have any ideas where this wooden section part woud be located within the hawker Hurricane? It appears to have a covering of cockpit green on both sides.
In photo five there are signs of a circular cut shape not sure if this helps in anyway.

Sorry the green finish hasnt come out in the photos but i will try tomorrow with some better light.

Thank you for any help in advance

Attachments
Original post

Member for

19 years 2 months

Would need to check, but similar to footstep

Member for

13 years 3 months

Thanks Rocketeer that would interesting to hear

Member for

13 years 2 months

hawker1966, what makes you think Hurricane? It looks a chunky bit of ply - what thickness? Most of the sheet ply on the Hurricane is quite thin.

Member for

15 years

There are some thick pieces of ply, had a look through my pictures and just cant place it with the metal attached. Looks a bit like the small section behind the red Nav / Landing light ?? Hole for light and remains of mounting holes ??

Ant.

Member for

13 years 3 months

Hi Foray
Thank you your reply, i was told it was Hurricane so was going down that route, the thickness is approx 17mm but has swelled in other areas.

Member for

13 years 3 months

Hi Worcs aviation
Would you have any links, images to the section that you have suggested as a possibility, it also looks similar to the panels left and right to the sides of the pilots position, but there are no circular cut outs or brackets of this kind.
I have seen this type of nut and bolt set up on the Hurricane but im blowed if i can place them.

I will post a couple of photos to try and capture the cockpit green colouring of the panel itself shortly.

Member for

13 years 2 months

That long panel is in the order of 3 inches wide, your piece looks wider. The tube to the left of it is round and made of steel. The only place I can think of with that kind of thickness of ply but I don't know about extent (and I don't know the entire structure of the Hurricane) is in parts of the radiator fairing.

Member for

15 years

I have never seem to be able to post pics on this site, don't know how to do it ? The part i mentioned is a bit like yours but looking again the metal bit is not right, really tough call to i.d. that one. i have loads of structure pics but nothing that I can see that matches, not to say its not in there somewhere!

Member for

19 years 2 months

It looks familiar. The spin keel panels have thicker ply. If I had more time I could have a good look. I have a full set of Hurri wood

Member for

13 years 3 months

Hi Tony
If anyone could nail it it would be yourself, but i know where your coming from in the time schedule hopefully something will come up along soon.

Hi Worc Aviation
Ive also had trouble posting images but ive found if you keep persevering the images will finally load, sometimes it can take a few days of trying.
Thanks for trying though.

Hi Foray
The panel i have is 5 and a half inches probably wider as it has been split in the crash itself.
The radiator faring is a possibility, i will take a look at this avenue.

Thanks again for your replies.

Member for

16 years 2 months

That's very thick plywood to be used on any aircraft, it would indicate that it is a part designed to bear a considerable load. Usually, thick wood parts are built up with blocks in the load-bearing areas, these being sandwiched between much thinner outer ply skins.

It doesn't look much like aircraft ply, either. The laminations look too thick, more resembling a piece of a caravan or trailer, or even a boat!

What is the origin of the part; was it picked up at a crash site during the war or similar?

Anon.

Member for

16 years 2 months

That's very thick plywood to be used on any aircraft, it would indicate that it is a part designed to bear a considerable load. Usually, thick wood parts are built up with blocks in the load-bearing areas, these being sandwiched between much thinner outer ply skins.

It doesn't look much like aircraft ply, either. The laminations look too thick, more resembling a piece of a caravan or trailer, or even a boat!

What is the origin of the part; was it picked up at a crash site during the war or similar?

Anon.

Member for

16 years 2 months

Apologies; unable to delete duplicate post. Can one of the mods do it?

Anon.

Member for

13 years 3 months

Hi Anon
Thank you for your input, it was from a Hurricane crash site and was picked up at the former Tangmere aero jumble many years ago.
brad.

Member for

13 years 3 months

Just to add that i have seen the type of headed nuts/ bolts on a Hurricane but i cant get my head together to remember where.

Member for

13 years 2 months

Base support for the upward recognition device inside the fuselage just by the aerial base - see picture no.13 on the wwetc.hurricane501.co.uk site 'picture gallery'.

Member for

13 years 3 months

Hi Foray
Well that is pretty impressive well done for finding the panels location, i have to admit i looked at the photo you suggested and time and time again for some reason i couldnt picture it, but then i noticed the two extra fixing holes that were forced apart during the aircraft's crash itself, also you can see the four nuts and fixing bolts on the images framework, i had looked through he Hawker restorations site but missed this well done once again.

Would you no or anyone else no more about the upward recognition device.

Member for

13 years 2 months

Alas no. I have the feeling that many/most of today's flyers are only fitted with the external plywood panel by the aerial mast and not the internals. The exception might be R4118.