RIP;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45312217

Original post

Member for

19 years 2 months

A true hero

Member for

16 years 2 months

For someone I didn't know I do feel quite sad he has died. He gave a lot for his country and not just politically.

Member for

14 years

He did indeed: expect insincere tweets from multiple draft-dodger Trump.

Member for

10 years 1 month

Patriot,warrior who sought reconcilliation.
Rest in Peace Sir.

Member for

15 years 3 months

A percentage of his fellow POW's and veteran organisations, did not see him as a hero, openly questioned him on his firm stance that there were no MIA's left after the Paris peace talks, and his continual objection to openness on POW debriefs. Aswell as his firm responces to anyone who questioned the "truth" as he saw it , in the 1991-93 POW/MIA Senate Select Committee where McCain and his co-chairman John Terry played down or dismissed any evidence presented about US servicemen still held after the prisoners return in 1973, approx. 1600 first hand reports and 14000 second hand reports...

A lot of people, who wern't on board at the time, blamed him for the Forrestal fire and subsequent deaths.

Rest in peace Sir and Blue Skies.

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
A hero to some and a controversial figure to others does it really matter now he has passed RIP Mr McAin.

Geoff.

Member for

18 years 2 months

A real hero. RIP

Member for

6 years 8 months

Regardless of his politics and the controveries outlined above I cannot help admire someone willing to give so much for his country. RIP

Member for

19 years 7 months

Indeed sad news - there far too few people of his calibre in Washington at the moment.

Member for

24 years 2 months

In relation to the USS Forrestal fire, it would be as well not to repeat what has been shown to be a completely false allegation.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/jo...uss-forrestal/

Yes, because Snopes has been proven to be an entirely unbiased source. :rolleyes:

Member for

11 years 10 months

Spources please, Chad. Provide sources likes Snopes does.
:stupid:

Member for

9 years 9 months

Quote(Indeed sad news - there far too few people of his calibre in Washington at the moment. )

thank god for that one of him was one too many., there are many more like him in the house and senate, but they did not serve in the military, they are called democrats. Mccain looked out for two things, himself and his ego. He tried to cripple general aviation in the US, he voted more against the wishes of the people of Arizona than with them. Barry Goldwater was a legend in the State of Arizona and I never heard anyone say a bad thing about him, Mccain and his wife on the hand have left a poor legacy with many people, myself included. I had dealings with both of them at different times, and both were underhanded.
Yhose on this forum only know what you read about him, I am in Phoenix AZ, and had to put up with him for too long.

Member for

10 years 1 month

Yes, You have my sympathy having a Buffoon as president.

Member for

9 years 9 months

QUOTE(Yes, You have my sympathy having a Buffoon as president.)
No, we HAD a buffoon as a president for 8 years,

Member for

11 years 10 months

I'll have my say on McCain.
I can't fault hik for is bravery and dedication to his country.
Whereas his escapades in civilian and politics -at least until be became a rare critical voice the teh GOP- will be looked upon less kindly.
And there is no harm in in that. Everything John McCain did in politics he did willingly and we owe future historians the truth.

What is striking is how willingly many of Trump's followers have fallen for the lies about his time on captivity in N. Vietnam and on the USS Forrestal purely because they are aping Trump's rather petty and vindictive opinons. He never does seem able to take criticism well.
From a party that likes to see itself as champions of the military I find that rather striking.

And in a reply to Matt Gunsch, though I do respect that you have a right to your opinion, I wonder if you can tell us how many of Obama's close associates have been indicted on criminal charges versus Trump's?

Member for

19 years 7 months

It is a sorry thing to see that an honorable man like McCain is regarded with such deep disrespect by some people simply because he did the right thing and displayed his repugnance at the lack of honesty, morality and civilised values that now exists in the Republican Party at its upper levels. Vale John McCain I may not have agreed with everything you said but you were a man who earned respect.

Member for

13 years

There have been several

I'll have my say on McCain.
I can't fault hik for is bravery and dedication to his country.
Whereas his escapades in civilian and politics -at least until be became a rare critical voice the teh GOP- will be looked upon less kindly.
And there is no harm in in that. Everything John McCain did in politics he did willingly and we owe future historians the truth.

What is striking is how willingly many of Trump's followers have fallen for the lies about his time on captivity in N. Vietnam and on the USS Forrestal purely because they are aping Trump's rather petty and vindictive opinons. He never does seem able to take criticism well.
From a party that likes to see itself as champions of the military I find that rather striking.

And in a reply to Matt Gunsch, though I do respect that you have a right to your opinion, I wonder if you can tell us how many of Obama's close associates have been indicted on criminal charges versus Trump's?

There have been several associates, fund raisers, friends and cohorts who have been charged, and not small stuff either.

Member for

18 years 10 months

An honourable, respectful and moral politician, whether you shared his views or not, you could always respect him. Many attributes the current childish incumbent is severely lacking. RIP.