Rimowa (Junkers) F.13 incident at Texel airport 17 August 2018

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 5 months

Haven't seen much about this yet, but Junkers F.13 rebuild HB-RIM was seen tipped onto its nose at Texel International Airport today. Looks like material damage only.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]262304[/ATTACH]

Attachments
Original post

Member for

16 years 4 months

A good chance for them to get the proper engine in!

Member for

12 years

Very nice comment. Would you also add something like that if it would be a Fury with a P&W, or an IL2 with an Allison powerplant?

Member for

16 years 4 months

I'd just like to see it with the proper inline engine. And they are making new ones in NZ!

Member for

19 years 7 months

Oxcart

Junkers also built F.13s which utilised radial power plants. One of those engine manufacturers was P&W. You may be more familiar with the examples of F.13 which sported an in-line power plant but the set up in the replica, although not precisely the same engine as those radials used originally, is not unrepresentative. They are using the replica for passenger flights and so the choice of a more mainstream power plant is hardly surprising.

The fact that such an amazing flying replica has been constructed is good enough for me!

Member for

16 years 4 months

I can't see any variants listed that utilised a radial engine, but will concede that Wikipedia isn't the most reliable source of information !

Member for

15 years 3 months

Just google "Junkers F13 Radial"
And loads of period images of F13s with radial engines..

Member for

9 years 9 months

Oxcart, Wikipedia is quite good in this regard and they list several radials used by the F13. In regards to New Zealand built inline engines, TVAL is building Mercedes D IIIa engines, only used by the prototype F13. The production engine choice was the BMW IIIa, a very different engine although superficially similar and not something that is currently in production AFAIK.

Regards
John

Member for

16 years 4 months

Thank U, folks!!
I did go through the variants on Wikipedia, But they all appeared to be inline engines

Member for

15 years 4 months

From Wikipedia: Many variants were built using Mercedes, BMW, and Junkers liquid-cooled inline engines, and Armstrong Siddeley Puma, Gnome-Rhône Jupiter and Pratt & Whitney Hornet radial engines.

I agree that it would be nice to see it with a proper Junkers L5 engine, but I don't see it as realistic, and certainly not for a commercial product.

Member for

19 years 7 months

Although wiki can be a useful useful resource it can be unreliable and was not the reference for my comments in post #5.

There are more traditional sources of well researched information about the Junkers F.13. There is reference to the various radial powered F.13s in certain books. Examples of this include:

“European Transport Aircraft since 1910” by John Stroud published by Putnam 1966
“Junkers F13 det forsta trafikflygplanet i Sverige” Flyghistorisk Revy 1992

Member for

14 years 3 months

Most definitely out here in Australia/PNG, The Junkers F13 and subsequent Junkers aircraft were re-engined with P&W Wasps and Hornets and used with great success. Another good book to check out is EAM Books "The World's First All Metal Airliner JunkersF-13", if you can find a copy. :)
I just wish I had the truck load of cash required to obtain one of these replicas, because it would fill an important and relevant historical hole here in Oz.

Member for

19 years 3 months

Glad no one was hurt, whatever the kin engine! Looks lovely to me!