Very intriguing Ju88 relic? Help please

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 3 months

Hi
Again I have come across another relic that I believe could be a possible Ju88G compass from the cockpit panel, what are your thoughts? The diameter of the compass face itself measures 150mm just over 6inces.
It looks similar to the master compass apart from the back section.

Also this was found purchased from a very genuine source who found it on Leysdown beach some years ago,he mentioned there was a Ju88 that had crashed in and around this area, but hadn't tracked the relics Identity but whilst surfing the net I came across the Ju88G image that happens to be from a Ju88.

Any thoughts and input would as always be very much appreciated.
Brad.

Attachments
Original post

Member for

19 years 2 months

A Do17 came down on beach at
Leysdown

Member for

13 years 3 months

Hi Tony
Would you have any details of the crash site? thats slightly thrown me as i thought that i had the identity of the relic itself, maybe this type of compass was used on the Dornier, i will try and see if this is a possibility, unless anyone else knows of a possible crash site for a Junkers 88 in and around Leysdown.

Member for

13 years 3 months

Just searching reference the Ju88 and came across this thread, on the last post it states there was a Me109 and Junkers 88 that crashed on Shellbeach which is just along from Leysdown beach, would anyone have any more information in regards to the Ju88 crash ie date, year etc.

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4093.0

Member for

15 years 11 months

I have a complete compass which was removed from a JU88 in Norway 1945. Peiltochterkomass kp2 Fl 23374 It is very similar to your compass only the rear is slightly different, as mine was made by gvy. Your compass looks like was made by Patin of Berlin. Photo seen on another web site and says it was manufactured some time in 1944 and fitted to Ju88's

[ATTACH=CONFIG]262284[/ATTACH]
Hope this is of some help
Ian.
My compass

Attachments

Member for

13 years 3 months

Hi Ian
Thank you for your detailed reply, sorry that im late replying as i have been away for the weekend, you have nailed the compass that i have as it looks to be identical to yours, it looks slightly different to yours at the base because mine has been damage due to the impact of the crash itself,the wiring is there to take the input electrical socket shown on your photos, you can make out the out line where this section once stood along with the side section shown again in your photos.

Would you know where this compass may of fitted? ie in the control panel itself (shown in my earlier replies above or anywhere else within the aircraft.

Also would you have the link to the site that you managed to get the photo from?

Would it also be possible to post some images of the front of the compass as this may help to clarify whether it was fitted in the pilots cockpit panel.

So now it looks pretty certain that this compass is from a late variant JU88 that was lost in and around Leysdown,so would anyone have any information of any Ju88Gs that were lost at sea around the Leysdown/isle of Sheppey area.

Many thanks again Ian for your time given in this

Member for

13 years 3 months

Thanks again Ian
Up to now there appears to be no source of any later variant Ju88s crashing in the area of Leysdown and the isle of Sheppey in Kent, but i have heard that there was a Battle of Britain Ju88 in and around this area, but this wouldn't of had the same type of compass on board,as i believe that this model would of been manufactured in and after 1943/44.

No doubt there may of been a few out at sea but im just hoping someone can throw some light towards my direction, as it would be great to get a few possibilities for the relic board that i have plans to create and add to it some possibilities in regard to information for the board.
Brad.

Member for

15 years 11 months

Hi Brad
Had another search and all the compasses from 1939 have a totally different back end and do not match in any way, so its got to be 1944 and as both our compasses are the same. Maybe you could email Andy Saunders, he might have some info
Ian

Member for

13 years 3 months

Hi Ian
At least this relic now has an (identity, a year of manufacture and aircraft variant) with thanks to yourself.

Im hoping that the likes of Andy and anyone else with the knowledge of possible losses in this area to hopefully come along soon.
Brad.

Member for

13 years 3 months

Just doing a little more research and i came across a site that lists enemy aircraft that crashed in and around the Thames estuary around 1943/44, looking at the dates from 1943 to 1944 and in particular Junkers 88s i came across the aircraft below.

138. (exact date unrecorded). JUNKERS JU88S-1 (Historic England Reference 140581 3E+US).
Junkers Ju88 of Squadron 8/KG6 was shot down by a Mosquito Mk XII from Number 85 Squadron and crashed into the Thames Estuary off Foulness at 8.38 p.m.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

140. (exact date unrecorded). JUNKERS JU88A-4 (German) (Historic England Reference F1+AK)
Junkers Ju88 of Squadron 2/KG76 was shot down by anti-aircraft fire and crashed into the Thames Estuary
141. 1944 (exact date unrecorded). JUNKERS JU88A-4 (Historic England Reference 301346 B3+MP)
Junkers Ju88 that was part of Squadron 6/KG54. It was shot down by 3.7inch anti-aircraft guns and crashed one-mile north of Whitstable in the Thames Estuary.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was a Ju88(s) of Foulness but that is obviously along way from the compass relics found location.
Again im not to sure if this aircraft had crashed into the estuary itself or on mainland but i will look further into this.

Then there is the one that crashed one mile of Whitstable but states just ju88 and not a variant this could be a possibility i guess, i will research this and try and source whether this could of been a G model upwards.

The others appear to be earlier variants A-4s so unlikely to be from one of those.

Then there's this one a Ju88T link below
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:iBR87Ih5PCgJ:https://museumcrush.org/remains-of-german-wwii-ju

I do appreciate that there were no doubt other Ju88 aircraft that had crashed into the estuary that would not of been recorded, but i would like to research the Ju88s that were, as like i said previously further up the thread i would like to add as much research to this relic as i can and display it in its right context, of course realistically it will never be re united with its aircraft number but it will have photos of its former self and information that tells the story of others lost over the Thames estuary itself.

Again any help would be very much appreciated.
brad.

Member for

15 years 11 months

Hi Brad
Been looking at Luftwaffe Night Fighter Squadrons no luck so far.
Ian

Member for

13 years 3 months

Thanks again Ian for your input and time.

Going back to the Ju88T that was dredged out of the estuary 10 miles south East of Clacton, looking at some of the images of the relics found there is a panel that is painted green with traces of black (please see below links) this colour appears to be identical to the relic compasses paint finish that i have, as this also has the same green and black finish (please see my above photos from post 1)
Would anyone know whether this was a standard paint finish for a later variant? also would anyone no where this panel may of fitted on the aircraft going by the information on the data plate?

This may have no relevance but its strange it has the same paint finish, as i would of thought the component would of had its own paint finish ie black etc, just like the images that Wellingon285 has provided on post 5.

http://museumcrush.site.gridhosted.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Rb5-30-Camera-plate-e1471269549306.jpg

http://museumcrush.site.gridhosted.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Rb5-30-Camera-plate-detail.jpg