Javelin gun sight ?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 11 months

Looking for an answer regarding the designation of the pilot's gunsight in Javelins fitted with AI Mk 17 radar (Javelin FAW Mk 1, 4, 7 and 9). As I understand it, the sight took a GGS display and radar display and combined them (via a collimator) - projecting both GGS aiming marks and radar target spot onto a reflecting plate. I've seen this sight referred to as Blind Predicting Gun Sight (BPGS) and also as GGS Mk 7. I've also seen it suggested that GGS Mk 7 was only a component of the sight. Are there any Javelin fans out there (ideally in possession of the relevant AP) that can give a definitive answer ?

Original post

Member for

11 years 1 month

GGS Mk7 is a 'mildly' modified Mk5, only the Gyro/Optics sighting head altered, having bigger glass, different lifting lever / arms, and a more rounded head pad. Radar integration was by the usual means, for ranging the graticule. Standard displays on the GGS reflector glass, lots of boxes associated with this ordinary set-up.

AI.17 (and AI.22 in Mk2 or Mk8) added a collimator as you say, a discrete display via CRT slaved to the Radar, with its own reflector glass just in front of the GGS one, the target displayed as a dot so you knew which way to steer if no visual contact.

Both focused at infinity so everything was visible at once. Only the combination of these two qualifies the 'Blind' bit. The Range Drive was the only AI-connected part of the GGS.

JEK

Member for

13 years 11 months

JEK - thanks.