Unknown Hurricane Instrument. MKII ??

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 5 months

Is anyone familiar with the switch knob shown on the attached photo. The item is located between the oil pressure gauge and the fuel gauge.
This photo was taken many years ago from PZ865 which I believe is a MKII.
What was its purpose and whats the part number I need to locate one to fill a hole in my panel.

Attachments
Original post

Member for

12 years

Hi,

Its a three way rotary switch, usually used for selecting downward ident lamp/light colour, also used for landing lamps to set high/low beam, Air Ministry ref is 5c/936

Member for

11 years 3 months

It is a selector switch to select which tank the fuel gauge is reading

Member for

10 years 2 months

Tiffyman is correct in the purpose and section code of the rotary switch; but, I have no idea of its function in this instance.
It is fitted in the position usually occupied by the Fuel Pressure Warning Light on the Mk.II; which used the standard Signalling Switchbox No.2 Mk.III (5C/372) for the Upward White, raised ’teardrop’ Ident. lamp mounted on the fuselage spine ahead of the antenna mast; and a single White Downward Ident. lamp centrally aft of the radiator cowling; although there was provision made by ventral faired-in panels for red and amber lamps to either side of the central white one.
The landing lamps were cable operated by a teleflex lever on the port side wall of the cockpit.

Member for

19 years 3 months

PZ865 has always had interesting changes to her panel. The Mk2 has the Mk1 fuel pressure gauge replaced with a low pressure warning light. Not normally used for a starter light. It may be that the selector was to allow the oil pressure gauge to be used for fuel pressure too....most unlikely but you never know with 865. Whatever it is, you would not wish to replic@te it in a historic project, unless of course, you wanted to capture or recreate the state of PZ865 at that time.

Member for

19 years 3 months

If you look at a picture of my P3554, you will see I blanked off the panel holes and reinstated the starter indicator for fuel. Incidentally, this panel is the same panel that was fitted to 865 when she was built in 44.