"Spitfire" documentary air-to-airs...how were they done?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 7 months

I'm reviewing the new documentary film "Spitfire" for a U. S. magazine, and I wondered how the superb air-to-air footage was done. Obviously some of it is from helicopters, since the helo operators (and Steadicams) are listed in the film's credits, but were any of the shots from small drones? I also assume I'm correct in saying there was absolutely no CGI used anywhere in the film, correct?

Original post

Member for

8 years 8 months

John Dibbs did it all! He's probably the best air to.aor photographer in the industry! I believe the imagery was done from.helicopters.

Member for

15 years 8 months

Taken during filming at Bicester...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]262011[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

20 years 8 months

I had to laugh at some of the comments on Facebook that I saw, especially one saying that he was "fed up of CGI aviation films" - and would not be going to see this one.

He obviously hadn't paid attention to any of the pre-release stuff about Dunkirk, either....!

Member for

12 years 8 months

Not to get too side tracked from the thread but Dunkirk was a terrible film BECAUSE it had no CGI. The average person would not have learned what it was really like at Dunkirk in 1940 either on the beaches or in the air. The flying sequences in Dunkirk are not a patch on the wonderful footage in the Spitfire film.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Totally agree, empty seas, beaches and air, I cannot understand why anyone raved about Dunkirk, it was a shadow of the one that had come before, I have seen more people on Blackpool beach during the winter, and as for the flying scenes, it needed CGI to fill the skies, I bet the CGI Spits wouldn't glide for miles either :)

Member for

5 years 8 months

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread http://gshort.click/isna/7/o.png

Member for

24 years 3 months

Interesting, but treading a well-worn path as far as the Nolan movie is concerned. It has been discussed at length.

Moggy