Hawker Hurricane rebuilders and replica makers?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

5 years 7 months

Hi All,
First post since joining.
I recently read a number of posts here on this subject.
Sadly, they seemed to cease around 2014.
Have you all moved to a different area on this forum, or did I discover you too late, and you've all gone off?
I made a replica instrument panel 15 years ago.
Meanwhile, I've made a few knobs and levers.
I have revised my priorities and cleared space in my museum shed to accommodate the 8ft by 4ft project.
If there's an ongoing interest here, I'd be pleased to chat/share info.
There's other contact details in my profile, btw.
Cheers, Mike
http://airspeedsflyingvisit.threadwings.com.au

Original post

Member for

14 years 5 months

Welcome Airspeed2
Your project sounds interesting any photos ?

Jules

Member for

5 years 7 months

Thanks, Gentlemen!
No close ups handy, but the panel is included in some shots on my website, eg:
http://airspeedsflyingvisit.threadwings.com.au/wpimages/da6df23bf2e7.jpg
All the instruments are home made from cans with printed faces and home made glass fronts.
Some of the printing hasn't lasted the 15 years, so many will have to be re-done. I lost a heap of artwork when a hard disk failed.
QS- that looks quite impressive. I tried to learn about stepper motors, and other electronics, but my brain couldn't handle it.

Member for

5 years 7 months

I know that I had at least one pic of the panel, but I simply haven't been able to locate it.
Meanwhile, to give an idea of how I did the instruments, here's the artwork for one. I have reduced it to a fraction of its original resolution to post here, as some of them are over 40 Mb each.
I am convinced that the ones which lasted longest are laser prints. Some had to be done on the inkjet, to get coloured transparent sections such as this undercarriage indicator.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]262002[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

7 years 8 months

HI Mike I have a Hurricane project to and have been making some parts that are hard to find
for my air frame and some other cockpit guys if you P.M me I will send you a list and some
photo's . good to another hurricane being built . Paul

Member for

19 years 2 months

Hurricanes?! Boring!

Member for

8 years 11 months

Take your artwork to a printer on USB and ask him to put it on colour transparency. Lay the transparency over a piece of white plastic card from your local model shop and Bob's your uncle. Takes backlight well too.

Member for

5 years 7 months

Hi Snibble,
As I mentioned, my supply of transparent film only suits my inkjet. (The laser melts it!)
I'll ask if anybody can do it on laser film or something else more durable, and while I'm in the big smoke, I'll see if anyone sells laser transparency.
I've also considered simply inserting perspex and colouring with glass paint.
Hi, QS,
Looks tempting! I keep looking at 3D printers, hoping that one day they'll drop into my pensioner budget.
Hi Tony,
Tried your Facebook page previously. Been having some connection issues, tech people are investigating.
I'm sure I'll get there soon, just fell over a couple of times when I tried.

Member for

19 years 2 months

I’ve had success with engravers. You could get the artwork to an engraver who could put it onto black/white plastic ply. Cut the holes out with a dremel, then use red and green transparency. My camel instruments were done by engravers. It’s all good fun and not too expensive.

Member for

5 years 7 months

Thanks, Tony :)
Hadn't thought of manual engravers, but I have previously chased around for folks with laser cutters, and have seen the layered material which you mention. I'd only thought of it for placards. You could get the rounded shape to make it really authentic - looking. Using that for the instruments themselves would certainly be more robust than my prints!
I've asked a firm to give me a quote.
Visited the tip today, and found a few sheets of aircraft aluminium! Looks like it came from a light model that had been damaged. Hope that I can incorporate them into my project.