Whats this got to do with historic aviation?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 11 months

what, where and why?[ATTACH=CONFIG]261620[/ATTACH]

20p coin for scale

Attachments
Original post

Member for

16 years 2 months

Bookend. As to where and why? Clueless.

Member for

18 years 4 months

Made from Unobtanium, historic relic found inside a draughtsmans contract drawer shortly after a rivetting conversation where I gave him 20 pence for his thoughts and he came up with a new angle on Spitfire recoveries.

Member for

19 years

Cup holder in a Spitfire.

Brian

Member for

6 years 1 month

I can’t see the dataplate! I reckon it’s a newbuild....

Member for

19 years 3 months

No scotavia, Wikipedia -- which is never wrong -- informs me that the metal is not unobtanium (but your word was a clever concoction). Instead, it is aLOOminum, and definitely not aluminium, so it was US-built.

I swear I saw this aircraft's shadow on the ground in B-52 flying scenes in the movie "Dr Strangelove". Never mind...I stand corrected; it was a B-17's shadow. (This really is seen in the movie -- as shown in the image. I've read that Stanley Kubrick knew this and even wanted this oddity.)

Attachments

unobtanium is mined on the planet Pandora.

Member for

19 years 11 months

It is actually a “make and take” from the new Plane Factory gallery at the Brooklands Museum. Children (and I suspect a good few adults - like myself) take prestamped aluminium blanks, and then under close supervision and health and safetydom, fold, roll and rivet the parts themselves into the plane shown. It seems up to 400 of these are being churned out per day. I think it’s a wonderful idea and is very hands on - which seems to be one of the primary offers for museums nowadays.

The Plane Factory and attached Flight Shed are well worth a visit. The Plane Factory particularly is a very good way of presenting the Museum’s aircraft and supporting displays. As ever, the challenge will be to keep the interactive stuff interactive.