Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats this got to do with historic aviation?

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeepman
    infrequent poster now

Whats this got to do with historic aviation?

what, where and why?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3641.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	447.6 KB
ID:	3734035

20p coin for scale
    JM
  • aeronut 2008
    Rank 5 Registered User

Bookend. As to where and why? Clueless.

Comment

• scotavia
      scotavia

Made from Unobtanium, historic relic found inside a draughtsmans contract drawer shortly after a rivetting conversation where I gave him 20 pence for his thoughts and he came up with a new angle on Spitfire recoveries.

Comment

• Pen Pusher
        Rank 5 Registered User

Cup holder in a Spitfire.

Brian
        The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
        DfG on Facebook

Comment

• KurtB
          Rank 3 Registered User

I cant see the dataplate! I reckon its a newbuild....

Comment

• Matt Poole
            Rank 5 Registered User

No scotavia, Wikipedia -- which is never wrong -- informs me that the metal is not unobtanium (but your word was a clever concoction). Instead, it is aLOOminum, and definitely not aluminium, so it was US-built.

I swear I saw this aircraft's shadow on the ground in B-52 flying scenes in the movie "Dr Strangelove". Never mind...I stand corrected; it was a B-17's shadow. (This really is seen in the movie -- as shown in the image. I've read that Stanley Kubrick knew this and even wanted this oddity.)
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Matt Poole; 21st July 2018, 02:02.
            RAF LIBERATORS OVER BURMA (subtitled FLYING WITH 159 SQUADRON) by Bill Kirkness DFM and Matt Poole, published by Fonthill Media

Comment

• Chris Cussen
              Rank 5 Registered User

unobtanium is mined on the planet Pandora.

Comment

• jeepman
                infrequent poster now

It is actually a make and take from the new Plane Factory gallery at the Brooklands Museum. Children (and I suspect a good few adults - like myself) take prestamped aluminium blanks, and then under close supervision and health and safetydom, fold, roll and rivet the parts themselves into the plane shown. It seems up to 400 of these are being churned out per day. I think its a wonderful idea and is very hands on - which seems to be one of the primary offers for museums nowadays.

The Plane Factory and attached Flight Shed are well worth a visit. The Plane Factory particularly is a very good way of presenting the Museums aircraft and supporting displays. As ever, the challenge will be to keep the interactive stuff interactive.
                JM

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                X