Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spitfire incident at Goodwood (July 18 2018)

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have got a flight booked with Boultbee confirmed for the end of September, and a wheels up landing would not put me off !

Comment

Originally posted by TEXANTOMCAT
      There was a recent mishap with a different warbird firm recently who imposed an immediate blackout on photos/reporting etc - I guess the same thing has happened here - any negative publicity with Spitfire Operator A might cause punters to pick Spitfire Operator B....
      To me it simply looks like backside covering, and an attempt to circle the wagons. Maybe the problem is that aviation enthusiasts will always play armchair pilot and try and apply their own, usually faulty, analysis to a given situation?

These incidents are, surely, par for the course? These are the risks inherent in the design and age of these aircraft. If one of those Buchons doing the rounds happens to ground loop at some point during this airshow season, I won't be too surprised. This is what Bf 109s did during active service, fairly frequently.

Originally posted by Nachtjagd
      Pretty sure the press don't read this forum. If they did, they might at least get some of their stories factually correct!
      I'm pretty certain they do. This forum is quoted and referenced on other forums, and I recall one article following the Shoreham crash that cited individual forum posts by name. Journalists probably rely on the hive consensus of a forum, even if the conclusions are a bit wobbly.

Comment

Anyone heard any more about this?

Comment

I believe, it’s pretty stuffed. Spars, gear, lower fuselage mounts etc. Suspect there is a mass collation of parts going on to try and speed up the repair.

FB

Comment

Ripping off both legs? Or them folding neatly into the wings.

Just a shame as it neatly folds up, as did Rolls Royces when they retracted the gear on the runway, the rest of it beats the crap out of itself. That picture above is minor compared the PS853's damage. Though luckily they only had 5 blades to turn to matchsticks unlike the Daily Fails contra rotating version.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-landing.html
            Last edited by TonyT; 28th July 2018, 01:22.

Comment

G-ILDA was flying at Duxford yesterday.

Comment

and again today at Duxford thanks to the hard work by the ARCo/HFL engineers .

SM520 / G-ILDA by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

Duxman
                Flikr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/64209520@N05/

Comment

So we went from having the gear ripped off, ******** mounts & knackered spars to flying again in two months?
                  If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Comment

If it can earn 12 K a day, that is pretty motivating !

Comment

In all honesty it wouldn't surprise me! The 2 seaters get president on repairs with them being money makers so anything that could affect business needs to be rectified quickly! Did anyone actually see how stuffed it was?

Comment

I see SM520 flew yesterday who do ARCo think they are the civilian repair organisation?
                        Weather - Fair with cloudy patches, clear by early evening.

Comment

Working...
                        X