Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rivet identification anyone? Ex Hurricane

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Foray
    Rank 5 Registered User

Rivet identification anyone? Ex Hurricane

Removing rivets from some Hurricane centre section joints I have come across a type I have never seen before - see pic 1. I am used to seeing rivets emerge from their ferrules as in pic 2. Is anyone familiar with the style of those in pic 1 and if so what is/was the purpose of the side split with jagged section? (Both pictures are of Hawker built items.)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Rivet in ferrule 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	3733996 Click image for larger version

Name:	Rivet in ferrule 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	3733997
  • Ex Brat
    Rank 5 Registered User

Possibly a Cox serrated rivet? AGS 513 - 516. Manufactured with 1, 2, 4 or 6 serrations that are designed to lock together to prevent the rivet becoming twisted or deforming. Made in various materials. Advice in the mid 40s was that if they required replacement then use a tubular style of rivet of similar size and material.

Comment

• Foray
      Rank 5 Registered User

Thank you ExBrat, I was beginning to give up hope with this. Your suggestion makes sense. At least it is a recognised rivet form. As it is the only one of this type I have come across, maybe it is a one-off replacement item.

Comment

• Ex Brat
        Rank 5 Registered User

Your welcome.

I think they were made in their millions. There is a Patent in the name of Cox for the design. They were probably just superseded by the tubular rivet as time went on.

If you search the Flight Global archive you will find an advert for them.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
        X