Did the Finns torch their MiG-21s?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 7 months

I have just read in a French book a brief second-hand reference to the fact that when the Finnish air force got F/A-18s as replacements for their MiG-21s, they had a huge party, in March 1998 at the Kuopio-Rissala airbase, and torched all their by-then used-up MiGs. Is this true? Sounds unlikely, but I've spent enough time in Finland to know anything is possible there.

Original post

Member for

20 years 3 months

Not true. There is a a total of 15 MiG-21BIS aircraft preserved in Finland, of the total of 26 operated by the Air Force. Some in museums, some as gate guardians and some as instructional aircraft. Six aircraft were written off in accidents, 15 remaining of 20 is not too bad. Of the earlier 22 MiG-21Fs, 17 were left when they were phased out. Three are currently preserved in museums. Finnish AF also had six two-seat MiG-21U and 21UM aircraft, four of these are preserved.

Member for

19 years 7 months

Interesting to hear what really happened to their Mig 21s. When they were still active I got to sit in one at Rovaniemi air base - it was quite a beast.

Sounds like that book needs to be moved to the fiction category then.

Member for

20 years 1 month

A comprehensive answer from Finny. Maybe the clue is in the name....

Member for

16 years 3 months

They might have torched a symbolic one, just to send the type out of service. You know how these big mess parties get out of hand in the forces!

Anon.