Request for pictures...

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 10 months

Can anyone help please, I've googled, scoured my references (such as they are), googled some more, searched and searched, oh and tried to google!

Does anyone have a picture of a Spitfire Mk.I upper wing, when fitted with the 20mm cannon, showing what I assume would be a bulge, to allow for the cannon to be fitted!
Also, I'm looking for pictures of the Rolls Royce Griffon Mk.IV engine, preferably fitted to the Seafire XVII (hope that's the right mark for the XVII?) but on its own, would also be a help!

WHilst on the subject of Griffon engines, what, externally, would the differences be, between a single and two stage engine be?

Reason for my request it that I'm planning to build a series of models of the Spitfire/Seafire and if possible, would like to show the engine off!

Here's one I made earlier...

Thanks in advance

Attachments
Original post

Member for

17 years 1 month

Griffon VI in Seafire XV and XVII, Griffon IV is more common in Firefly series.

PM me your email

FB

Member for

14 years 1 month

Lovely model !

Member for

15 years 1 month

Yes fantastic model, what scale is it? and is it scratch built? It is really impressive.

Member for

9 years 8 months

Did the Mk1 have a bulge? Unless I'm completely wrong my understanding was that the reason the Mk1 didn't work with a cannon was because they kept jamming, owing to there not being a bulge, and the cannon being turned sideways to fit into the wing. When the ammo was fed in over the top of the gun it jammed against the wing. When the later models had a bulge and the gun fitted upright the feed was direct into the side, and free from jamming. If this is the case I would imagine the panel lines would be different perhaps to allow the different weapon to fit in the wing, but there wouldn't be a bulge. I hope this is true and not just figment of my imagination!

Member for

19 years 3 months

Hopefully the real experts will be along shortly to give you the right answer. I am away from my references at present but my thoughts are that the "a" wing had a small blister but that was associated with the wheel mechanism not the armament. I can't remember if the "b" wing was fitted to the Mk1 or perhaps started with the Mk11.

Member for

19 years 3 months

Tony,

As far as I can ascertain, the cannon armed Mk Is were retrospectively renamed Mk Ib in order to differentiate them from the 8-Browning Mk 1 (or Mk Ia). The only difference between the experimental (prototype ?) cannon-armed Mk I and the Mk Ib was the possibility (or plans) of mounting a single or pair of the outer Brownings on the Ib. The "proper" B-wing with standard 1x 20mm Hispano and 2x 0.303-in Browning wasn't consistently applied (from the records and books that I have available) until the Mk II.

As for photos of the upper wing of the Mk Ib - there are photos in Alfred Price's "The Spitfire Story" - photos 69 (upper wing) and 70 (underside) on p78, and also photo 60 (forward quarter view of wing from wing-level) on p73. I am unable to easily scan the pages at present, but if you leave me a message or e-mail contact, I can e-mail a phone-photo of the pages.

...geoff

Later:
p.58 in the Morgan & Shacklady "Spitfire the History" has additional photos of the T.1 (Trial Installation) Spitfire cannon wing - without Brownings.

Member for

20 years 10 months

Thanks all,
Your help is much appreciated as is the corrections to my limited understanding on the Mk.I and the Griffon, the reason I didn't call it a Mk.Ib as I wasn't sure if the Mk.Ia, Mk.Ib name had been introduced, at that time!

I have the Alfred Price & Morgan & Shacklady books somewhere, thanks for the pointers.

~Alan~ -- Lovely model !
and
Sopwith -- Yes fantastic model, what scale is it? and is it scratch built? It is really impressive.

Thanks both, it's the Airfix 1:48 Spitfire PR.XIX much modified from standard, with some scratchbuilding (areas behind the firewall, prop hub plus internal areas never to be seen again and plenty of artistic license), resin and photo-etch.

Member for

15 years 1 month

Thanks for the reply Tony, I thought it would be much larger looking at the picture, you really have done a brilliant job.