Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

29 OTU ORBs

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

29 OTU ORBs

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to find the ORBs from 29 OTU , North Luffenham, from June 1942 to March 43. TNA Kew does not seem to have them among the downloadable squadron ORBs and I am having trouble finding them elsewhere. I am trying to work out where and when my wife's uncle's crew first met up. The crew formed up in March 43 at 1660 HCU then went to 467 Squadron in the April. They were killed in the August of that year. Thanks a lot.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I think you're looking for AIR 29/672/1

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C7161019

Cheers,

RR
    My Lord, I have a cunning plan...

Comment

Thank you RR

I had had a quick look at that one but not sure it has ORBs

"29 Operational Training Unit (OTU). Based at North Luffenham (UK) (including satellite Woolfox) from May 1942. Moved to Bruntingthorpe (UK) (including Bitteswell satellite) in June 1943. Includes 1683 Bomber Defence Training Flight. Contains photographs of the 'Station News Room', station arts and crafts exhibition, station hobbies club, self help scheme, damaged hangers and dinghy training. With appendices"

I have ordered a page check in accordance with TNAs awkward ordering system - I live along way from Kew!

Fingers crossed but not holding breath

Cheers Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

IIRC, AIR 27 is Squadron ORBs, AIR 28 is Station ORBs, and AIR 29 is everyone else. The content is very variable depending on the diligence of the officer assigned - I have seen OTU ORBs with class lists, course scores, and all sorts of information, and those with little more than the basic '40 men posted in, weather damp'. This one says it has photographs and all sorts of appendices, so you may be lucky.

Unfortunately, I was at Kew a few weeks ago, or I'd have a peek for you. Good luck with your research!

Cheers,

RR
        My Lord, I have a cunning plan...

Comment

The description of photos etc describes the entire contents of the bound volume, multiple units often being in a single binding, 30 OTU which is in the same volume contains quite a bit of that, I don't recall No.29 OTU taking up much of it when I copied a significant amount of the 30 OTU portion.
          Peak District Air Accident Research

www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk

Aircraft Wrecks: The Walker's Guide

Comment

I too went through that file in 2015. Only photographed one page though.

https://imgur.com/a/8CCGuTh

Comment

Working...
            X