Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ADC Airdisco and the Bristol F2b

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ADC Airdisco and the Bristol F2b

Can anyone help with info. I'm tracing 141 Bristols built by Marshall and sons and found most went to ADC. One D2696 ended up in Spain and was still flying during the Civil war. Another D2751 is believed to have turned up in the roof of Mr Boddingtons barn. They were stored at Lincoln Race course no4 AAP until 1920 the last one issued to the RAF D2753 in May 1919. Are there any records of ADC sales, how do they know D2751 (now in Texas) was one of the 6. I have loads of questions and very little info. Have just read Ord Hume s book on the subject and it looks like it might be a forlorn hope.

The airframe in Texas, is not D2751. They are basing the ID on the instrument panel that I believe was found in Lincolnshire. The fuselage frame is one of those that were found near Weston on the Green "non of which has a known ID". I believe the wings came from either Shuttleworth, or Ireland, and have no ID.

Bob T.

Comment

Thanks for that Bob T not heard that about instrument panel. All ADC fuselage wings and engine were separated during refurb and none were reunited to original. Ross in Texas has a Marshall Arab fuselage but has no idea why he is being told it is D2751 and who came up with that. Maybe the instrument panel is the explanation as you say and the ID of the fuselage will remain a mystery.

Comment

If this is the one at Old Kingsbury "Roger Freeman's", the fuselage is from an RR engined F2b, not from a Marshall & son's built F2b. From the photo's I have seen of the WotG fuselages, when they were in situ, forming the roof framework, they would all appear to be RR engined, not Sunbeam or Hispano engined.

There was a very rotten fuselage etc, from a Marshall built example, that was found in Lincolnshire. I believe this is one that ended up in the hands of the late Neville Franklin, along with many other F2b parts, including an ex WotG fuselage. I may be wrong, but this is probably where the instrument panel originated from.
        Bob T.
        Last edited by sopwith.7f1; 20th June 2018, 22:04.

Comment

Working...
        X