ATC Summer Camp - West Raynham 1974

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

10 years 5 months

I don't suppose anyone knows which two Chipmunks were used for Air Cadet experience flights during this event. I think it was in August. Any help welcomed......

Original post

Member for

13 years

It was a City of London WIng camp, now London Wing. You could try them to see if they have any records.

I was there, took photos of the Canberras, the Javelin and the Belgian Air Force DC-6 but none of the Chipmunks. I was there the same week that Turkey invaded northern Cyprus. Interesting seeing painters painting a pile of WW2 steel helmets and some other stuff becoming decidedly war like. Not sure what the role of the Canberras would have been though

Member for

10 years 5 months

Thanks Bunsen, I'll try that. I remember the Canberras (85 & 100 squadrons) but don't recall their role. I also remember the Javelin gate guard, but must have missed (or forgotten) the Belgian DC6.

Member for

10 years 5 months

Thanks Forestfan, advice taken & item posted! Cheers, Andrew

Member for

20 years

Hundreds of cadets would have written the serials in their 3822's, and a few will still have those books

The ex cadets will now be 60 ish, or maybe a year or two younger. PPRuNe website may well provide your answer. Go to History and Nostalgia

Member for

10 years 5 months

You're spot on with your ages - I'm 58. Will follow your advice too. Thanks. Andrew

Member for

20 years 3 months

Would it be fair to assume they would’ve been from 5 AEF, which may perhaps narrow the search?

Member for

10 years 5 months

It may well be but, unfortunately, I haven't got a clue!

Member for

7 years 6 months

I was there also there
I still have my 3822 somewhere.
It had to filled out properly for the CO to endorse.
Remember previous year in was Abingdon and before that Oakington . . .

I shall try to dig it out.
Its also has my gliding scholarship details from Hemswell and Lindholme

Member for

14 years 11 months

I went to West Raynham camp about that time, there was a Javelin on the dump I sat in that and the one on the Gate which was opened for a families day. I flew in a chipmunk I may have put the numbers in my log book if it was 1974. Had a flight over the USAF Sculthorpe nearby.

Member for

10 years 5 months

Hi Varsity, it may well be that you can help me, and you're certainly my best chance yet.... Thanks, A

Member for

10 years 5 months

Ruhr Rover, sorry - I overlooked your post on my phone. Thank you, it also sounds like you may well be able to help me. Thanks, A

Member for

13 years

Until recently I had the radome from the Javelin on the gate, acquired from Hanningfield Metals, but it's gone to a better home. Also had some panels from the side consoles but they were borrowed for copying by a project in Germany and never returned.

The Canberras were a mixed bunch of T4s, B2s and at least one T11. The DC-6 had an engine fire and made an emergency landing. It was being repaired by an engineer from Sabena, I still have his cap badge and long service badge.

Member for

10 years 5 months

Hi Bunsen. Can you remember what the Canberras were being used for. I seem to think it may have been target towing but I doubt that, even back then, that role would not have justified the use of two squadron's......

Member for

18 years 2 months

Newark's Canberra T.19 WH904 was with 85 Squadron at around that time at RAF West Raynham - not sure if it was an extension of its previous role with the same squadron as a T.11 on TFS duties (Target Facility Squadron?).

Member for

14 years 11 months

Also there was a Canberra that had belly landed after it would not retract and landed at Manston. There was a team reskinning the lower fuselage which we had a guided tour round.