Aviation Museums in Finland

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 1 month

During the next few weeks I will be traveling the length of Finland.
The drawback is that it will be on a coach tour.
This ends in Helsinki, and I will then have a few free days before departing.

Obviously, I'd like to see the local aviation museums while I am there.

I have tracked down two -
the Finnish Airforce Museum (formerly the Aviation Museum of Central Finland) located near Jyväskylä Airport in Tikkakoski, Jyväskylä
and
the Hallinportti Aviation Museum at Halli Airport, Kuorevesi, Jämsä.

I assume that the air force museum would be more worthwhile?
How accessible is the Hallinportti one?
Any others in the country worth a visit?

Original post

Member for

14 years 11 months

The Finnish Aviation Museum at Helsinki Vantaa has one of the most spectacular collections in Scandinavia...

Member for

19 years

I agree with Eric about the Vantaa Museum. You can get a bus to the airport from outside the main station but I forget the number. Shortly before reaching the airport, there is a bus stop near to the museum.

Member for

20 years 2 months

The AF Museum and the Finnish AF Museum are the main ones, both absolutely worth visiting. Hallinportti museum, next to Halli AFB, is small, but interesting, housing a Bristol Bulldog, among other things. There are small museums at Lappeenranta Airport, Kymi Airfield (an airworthy Gloster Gauntlet plus other stuff) and at Vesivehmaa Airfield, North of town of Lahti (Blackburn Ripon + lots of other airplanes). If you have a chance, any of these smaller museums is worth a visit, too.

Member for

16 years 3 months

Have been to Vantaa Museum. Contains a good variety of interesting a/c. It is a few hundred mtrs from the terminal
building at Vantaa (main a/p for Helsinki). I was on Baltic cruise, in Helsinki for the day, trip from city centre was simple.
Seem to recall reading there is now a direct train service from city to a/p. Some research should confirm that.
Enjoy you trip....!!!

Member for

20 years 2 months

No need for research. There is a train service from main railway station in Helsinki, trains marked either I or P. Do not get off at the airport, but on Aviapolis station, about 150 meters from the museum, take the exit of Aviabulevard.

Member for

17 years 1 month

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.