F7F Tigercat flight at the 2018 Planes of Fame airshow

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 9 months

Stewart Dawson flying the Grumman F7F Tigercat at the 2018 Planes of Fame airshow.

Jason
Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks Jason, another fine video piece. This aircraft is an impressive looking beast and something this size executing loops is great to watch. it’s a pity that bookings for UK shows didn’t encourage one to remain this side of the pond. Massive props and if I’m not mistaken slight forward sweep on the leading edge?

Member for

20 years

Yes, I certainly miss them leading the "Balbo" at Legends.

Member for

6 years 2 months

No forward sweep on the leading edge. Pretty much straight if I recall Stephens examples correctly.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes, I can see that now looking at scale plans but I can also see that the engine nacelle is about 1/3 wider than the fuselage - remarkable.

Member for

19 years 8 months

bloody ripper vid mate, love the tiger thank you for putting it up

Member for

12 years 5 months

I don't think TFC sold their Tigercat due to lack of airshow bookings, think you'll find it was sold along with the other twin engined machines like the B-25 and Mosquito due to insurers not allowing the Boss to fly twin's.
Shame either way as it was an impressive beast, especially the sound it made on take off .

Member for

16 years 3 months

I'm not surprised it sounded sweet on t/o - with two 2500hp R-2800's shoving it along!

Anon.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks for the correction Keefy. The source of my comment was an article or online comment some way back.

Member for

11 years 5 months

Wonderful display flying. Spectacular but safe. Why is the place strewn with so many power cables? Must represent quite a hazard.

I saw a radar nosed Tigercat in the graveyard at Chino in 1997. It looked quite restorable. Does anyone know what became of it?

Member for

13 years 11 months

I saw a radar nosed Tigercat in the graveyard at Chino in 1997. It looked quite restorable. Does anyone know what became of it?

Still on static display/unrestored - in need of sponsorship/money source if it were to be restored.

At present there are 6-7 flying Tigercats - two owned by Rod Lewis ("Here Kitty Kitty" and "La Patrona"), two owned by Jim Slattery (N379AK and N7629C), one owned by Dan Friedkin ("Bad Kitty" - previously owned by John Sessions), and one owned by Joe Clark (N909TC - previously owned by TFC). There is a 7th (N7195C), owned by an heir/family member of the Walton family (Lawrence Classics), considered airworthy by some sources, but is said to currently be undergoing extensive work/will be a regular flyer once completed.