No announcement yet.

Supermarine Swift move.......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree David. Every picture that I have seen would suggest so!
    pb::

Comment

Originally posted by TwinOtter23
      Back in January 2018 a couple of photos were posted on UKAR, in which you can just make out the Swift outside at Doncaster.....
      That must have happened late last year then - the Swift was still in Hangar 1 until July 2017, when it was moved to Hangar 3 (this is fact, not hearsay), and it was certainly still in there for the book launch on 18th November, so can have been outside for less than 7 months. In spite of the very smart exterior renovation, having seen pics of the very corroded state of the nosewheel bay when she was in Hangar 3 with 558 and 163 in 2016, I doubt if a further stay outside will worsen the existing damage from its previous 40 year stay outdoors by much at all.

Comment

Originally posted by plough View Post
        That must have happened late last year then - the Swift was still in Hangar 1 until July 2017, when it was moved to Hangar 3 (this is fact, not hearsay), and it was certainly still in there for the book launch on 18th November, so can have been outside for less than 7 months. In spite of the very smart exterior renovation, having seen pics of the very corroded state of the nosewheel bay when she was in Hangar 3 with 558 and 163 in 2016, I doubt if a further stay outside will worsen the existing damage from its previous 40 year stay outdoors by much at all.
        If this has spent any time outside, I do hope it had a canopy cover fitted! This received probably the last decent canopy in existence.

Comment

I'm gutted this Swift never made it to airworthiness. I had a good look at it at Hurn when Jet Heritage were being ripped off. The only issue I recall was with financing & the CAA & the engine.

Comment

yes but apart from that......
            Krlewska Moc Powietrza nie jest lot cyrku.....

Comment

Although there were probably others, but when it was with Jet Heritage i thought the main problem with getting the Swift back in the air was a distinct lack of serviceable brakes?!

Rob
              Facebook page
              https://www.facebook.com/Westland.Wy...tif_t=page_fan

Comment

As I've heard it, the Swift had a lot of type-specific components which were very difficult to source for the airworthy restoration. F.7's were built in very small numbers and there can't have been many spares set aside for the fleet, such as it was. Add to that it used reheat, which is usually pretty unpopular with the CAA.

It's interesting to see how the tables have turned regards XF114 and WK275, it used to be '275's condition that drew comment.
                "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease." Sergei Sikorsky

Comment

To be fair(ish) to The Vulcan lot and Doncaster, WK275 looked far worse latterly while still in use to advertise Sheppard's Surplus; as it did for around fifty years or so. People seem keen to imagine that the Swift, Canberra and 558 already have some sort of advanced rot setting in, simply to advance their criticism of VTTS. Outdoor storage is obviously not the ideal, but WK275 is hardly unique in being an airframe restored to an impeccable standard and then simply left to the elements outdoors. I've not seen anybody criticise the decision to keep XM603 outside at Woodford. Something that big isn't going to stay that white for very long against the ravages of British weather!

Nice to see G-SWIF surface as it isn't very well documented online. Presumably the wings will arrive soon!

Comment

IIRC WK275 has a private owner, so if he/she was not happy with the storage at Doncaster they could move it elsewhere

Comment

The owners of XM603 are likely to be grateful for the land they have. if they could put her indoors they would. Pretty much everyone had expected the a/c to perish.
                      pb::

Comment

XF114 is in pretty good condition. Ideal contender to be the best condition swift out there, save for Hendon/now Tangmere example. They are robust aircraft, but years of outdoor life can lead to extensive corrosion of the aft cockpit bulkhead with its water traps. 114, although outside for some time in its earlier life was in good condition, especially when compared to 275 in her latter Shepard’s surplus time. Glad to see 114 at Solent Sky.
                        Tony Dyer
                        https://www.facebook.com/TheAirDefen...homepage_panel

Comment

Working...
                        X