8 years 7 months

Is it true she flew at Sywell today?

Original post

Member for

12 years 9 months

Yes, it flew to Headcorn

Member for

14 years

There I was thinking that the Missileer really did exist and it turns out that Lil Margaret is an F-6D. Still the FB post describes it as a 'P51' so it seems no-one is really bothered about accuracy anymore.

Member for

8 years 7 months

Beautiful aircraft! Thanks everyone

Member for

13 years 6 months

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/945/40478675780_0b49992918_b.jpg

Member for

14 years 3 months

Very handsome machine, but new to me- can anyone elighten as to its history? Cheers...

Member for

12 years 4 months

TT - Her discovery and restoration are covered in Paul Coggan's book "P51 Mustang Restored" (yes, I know she's an F-6....). Great book and well worth looking out for s/h....gutted she's off before I've got the chance to see her...

Member for

18 years 4 months

looks like a Mustang?

Member for

6 years 1 month

Interesting that the RAF adopted PRU Blue for their machines and the Americans go for a high viz checker (and polished) finish.

Member for

14 years

The USAAF used the F-6C/D/K for tactical reconnaissance, and these always retained "fighter" camouflage - whether it was olive drab or natural metal.

They used the F-5 (PR version of the P-38), Spitfire and Mosquito for strategic reconnaissance and these were painted in "Haze" scheme for F-5 (but this gave way to PRU blue), the Spitfire and Mosquito retained their RAF PRU blue colour schemes (although the USAAF Spitfires changed to natural metal late in the war)

Some of the USAAF tactical reconnaissance squadrons were very aggressive - the airfield attack scene (which was a real mission) in the film "Empire of the Sun" features Mustangs based on the 118th Tactical Reconaissance Squadron, which only had a handful of F-6's, most of the squadron being normal P-51's.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I presume she's still heading for Italy?

Member for

13 years 10 months

The unrestored airframe that would become the restored "Lil' Margaret" was being stored in a gentleman's garage and basement when Butch Schroeder purchased the project in 1981 - thus it has for many years been referred to as the garage-find Mustang (though of the aviation sort). It had been sold from the USAF inventory in 1949, and from there on out had only ever been stored, so it was a real time capsule. Following the award-winning restoration of Butch Schroeder's T-6 which was completed in 1990, he had a young Michael Vadeboncouer and David Young head the restoration of "Lil' Margaret" (both guys would of course later go on to create the Midwest Aero Restoration company, well known for producing some of the highest-quality and more authentic Mustang restorations). The airplane was completed in 1993, and at the time it was a real ground-breaking restoration for the level of authentic detail and amount of original military hardware/equipment installed (all the hard to find stuff included - such as the fuselage fuel tank, APS-13 tail warning radar, period radios, cameras, etc.), setting a whole new standard.

The aircraft is painted in the markings of an original wartime F-6D flown by Clyde B. East, who managed to rack up an incredible 14.5 "victory" tally despite his main mission being aerial reconnaissance/information-gathering and to avoid combat (his successes as a fighter pilot riled up his commanding general so much that eventually he was instructed that he (and his wingman, when applicable) could only pursue German fighters, not bombers, and only if the German aircraft attacked first). I believe Clyde East flew over 200 missions as a tactical recon Mustang pilot. He had actually joined the fight very early on, prior to the US entry into the war, joining up with the Royal Canadian Air Force in the summer of 1941. He initially flew RAF Mustangs in England (his first being named "Lil' Margaret" as well), before he was later transferred to the USAAF.

Member for

15 years 1 month

Badly damaged today after failing to take off from Woodchurch. The new owner who was flying it is ok

Member for

24 years 2 months

Badly damaged today after failing to take off from Woodchurch. The new owner who was flying it is ok

Oh dear!

Good to hear the new owner was not injured.

A shame, but I'm sure the damage will be repaired.

Cheers

Paul

Member for

16 years 8 months

Really, thats not good, Rob was having a little pleasure on Tuesday flying around WM, must have went off to Lashenden after that around 4. Spoke to him on FB last night stating this was going back tomorrow, today. Bot good for the new owner, speculation can start here as to the cause :) Weather looked ok if a little overcast at times.

Member for

8 years 7 months

Oh god no that's not good! Pleased that the pilot is okay though

Member for

24 years 2 months

That's bad news, such a shame. Glad the pilot is OK, though.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Sabrejet...
I was thinking the same thing about the F6D...I must be reading too much about Navy types!

Member for

20 years 6 months

:( Oh no ,what a horrible start .Glad the pilot is ok and she will be rebuilt .