Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unveliling of memorial to RAF Port Meadow - Wednesday May 21st

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/162...Meadow_airmen/

Unfortunately I can't make it, but if anyone else is in the Oxford area...

Supposed to be a WW1 biplane replica on display from 12 - I wonder what and whose?

Adrian
    "Snow clearing equipment has been found under snowdrift" - message sent from RNAS Hatston, Orkney, 1944.

There's already a small stone in the wall near the Trout pub (Wolvercote end) - I wonder if this is a new memorial or a rededication/ refurbishment of the existing one? Commendable either way!
    Armchair enthusiast, but also a fan of sofas and recliners.

Comment

Isn't the stone in the wall a memorial for a single fatal crash though?

Comment

I'll be at the unveiling on Wednesday, the new memorial is to commentate the 17 young airmen who were killed flying from Port Meadow during 1917 to 1918.
        The inscription will read:-
        In grateful memory of those who served in or with the Royal Flying Corps and later Royal Air Force and who died in flying accidents during 1917 and 1918 while stationed or visiting the flying training aerodrome south of this point on Port Meadow.

The old plaque on the bridge is scared to the memory of Lieut. C.A.Bettington and 2nd Lieut E.Hotchkiss
        Who were both killed on Tuesday September 10th 1912 whilst flying a Bristol Coanda monoplane No 263.

Jules

Comment

As Jules and Zidante say, the memorial is to a single pre-war crash (there's also a plaque in the church) - this is to the men killed in WW1.

Please report back here so I know what I have missed, Jules!

Adrian
          "Snow clearing equipment has been found under snowdrift" - message sent from RNAS Hatston, Orkney, 1944.

Comment

Splendid, glad to hear a broader memorial is being created! There's no other visible reminders of Port Meadow's aviation past as far as I know, so this is very good to see
            Armchair enthusiast, but also a fan of sofas and recliners.

Comment

Well we had a lovely day for the unveiling this afternoon, a lovely ceremony and well attended.
              It's a lovely memorial and very fitting.

Well done to all involved

Having a problem loading photos at the moment but will keep trying !

Comment

Photos now uploaded..................
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X