In cockpit camera of P51 Miss Velmas emergency landing at LAST years Legends

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 7 months

I was sent this link of the inflight video and discussion of the incident from Miss Velma emergency landing last year.A great insight into the decisions and problems with a misfiring engine.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2018/may/17/inside-a-p-51-engine-out-off-airport-landing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBpqvPujZgM&feature=youtu.be

Original post

Member for

20 years 10 months

Incredible, thanks for sharing. Exceptional airmanship.
Witnessed it first hand at the AirSpace end on the day with my heart in my mouth.

Member for

19 years 9 months

Fascinating insight

Member for

14 years 8 months

Great interview and footage.

Member for

14 years 5 months

Really excellent piece of video.

..but interesting comment from a US You-Tuber - "Trashed one of our planes. What were they doing in England anyway"? Is this a common thought in the US about warbirds in Britain? Interested to hear from Americans.

Member for

13 years 6 months

I should imagine that Youtuber's comment is just an ill informed opinion from an arm chair enthusiast who thinks they know everything but know very little.

The replies to that comment sum it up...

It was an excellent save considering he had so few hours on type too. The other comment I found interesting was about dumping the canopy and proximity to the motorway, and not making your emergency situation into someone elses emergency too.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Really interesting to see, especially as one who was there on the Sunday afternoon. What a great outcome.

I was berated on here by one individual, at the time, for being overly sensational in my reaction, but with Shoreham such a recent memory, if that had ended with a very bad outcome, I believe that non-coastal UK airshows would have been stopped dead, for good.

Member for

14 years 7 months

To massage a famous Dambusters quote :-)
"Trashed one of our planes. What were they doing in England anyway"?
replies,
"If you tell him they were based here during the war, would that help?"

Member for

12 years 3 months

Thanks trumper for sharing the link, and thanks to the pilot and anyone else who was involved in making the footage and analysis public. I'm not a pilot, but if I were, I'm sure I would find that incredibly useful. As an enthusiast it was still amazing to hear that kind of insight.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Clearly a pilot familiar with the chimp behaviour model. The Chimp Paradox by Steve Peters: recommended reading for everyone.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Strange, a notable lack of any 'stunt flying'...

..."three down and safe", well done, that man!

Member for

17 years 11 months

WOW ! airmanship at its best, decisions decisions decision, bang bang bang one after another he nailed each of them.

my heart stopped even knowing the outcome just watching that, now I can breath.

Will he be at Legends?

Member for

19 years 3 months

Great video and a lot of useful stuff for others to learn from

Member for

19 years 5 months

He clearly didn't want to cross the motorway enroute to Duxford.
An outcome of the Shoram crash?

He clearly did the right thing...no sense in pushing one's luck.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Yes, if he'd come down on the M11 motorway, just think of the consequences...

...the organisers of the M11 would surely be held to account for any deaths or injuries, use of the M11 would be banned indefinitely, there'd have been questions asked in the house-of-commons as to why a new motorway was built near a busy airfield, maybe even a public enquiry would be held and those responsible for building the M11 in such a dangerous location could even be prosecuted for corporate manslaughter!

Member for

6 years 2 months

Do we know why the engine quit? It seems like fuel starvation given the intermittent running. Can anyone confirm?

Member for

13 years 11 months

Do we know why the engine quit? It seems like fuel starvation given the intermittent running. Can anyone confirm?

It seems similar to the engine malfunction on "Miss Helen" at Flying Legends in 2008 on landing approach as well (which I recall was also following the Balbo formation). I recall reports, back to original military operation, where the Bendix-Stromberg carburetor on the Mustang can get out of whack with too much movements/"jockeying" of the throttle.

I think Miss Helen's prob was mags wasn't it? Does seem very similar but in this case they seem to suspect carbs. Good outcome considering, well done and hope we will enjoy watching the two of them in Duxford's skies in July...

Member for

18 years 3 months

In my experience certain fuel issues show exactly the same symptoms as ignition (in this case mag) issues; apparently Merlins suffer from over greasing on the mags.

It looks a one point as if he has enough height to make it back ,but at the end the plane is sinking fast, and probably the best decision, to belly in the field; I wonder what effect a similar landing at DX itself would have on the events precedings and whether advice is to put them down off (air) field?

Member for

18 years 5 months

any report on the P51 involved in the prop versus tailplane mid air? Any lesson to be learned other than formation flying being challenging?