Just Jane "She will fly again" video

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 6 months

This excellent video popped up in my Facebook news feed posted by Andrew Panton on the Just Jane facebook page and made by a local student. Thought I would share here.
https://youtu.be/uJ2IeEIcKa8

Original post

Member for

18 years 5 months

Splendid... short but gets the message across.

Member for

17 years 11 months

Excellent.
It reminded me of the Silksheen poem but I cannot remember how it goes but ends something like, "my lovely Silksheen"

Member for

8 years 8 months

I personally think that's the closest you will ever get to see her flying.......

Member for

11 years 10 months

An excellent film, well done!

Member for

19 years 8 months

bloody ripper !

Member for

20 years 8 months

Very nice.

Member for

16 years 9 months

R4118 - Whats makes you think so? If they raise the funds its highly possible she will.

Member for

8 years 8 months

I'm pretty sceptical if I'm honest! It's a massive risk for the museum i mean there's not a massive amount of other stuff to keep people coming through the door if anything happend to her! (Just my opinion!) .....I certainly don't think it will be a regular flyer if she does ever get airborne.

The year they aim to get her flying seems to keep changing too I've noticed but that may be my suspicious mind with that one

Member for

20 years 4 months

I'm pretty sceptical if I'm honest! It's a massive risk for the museum i mean there's not a massive amount of other stuff to keep people coming through the door if anything happend to her! (Just my opinion!) .....I certainly don't think it will be a regular flyer if she does ever get airborne.

The year they aim to get her flying seems to keep changing too I've noticed but that may be my suspicious mind with that one

Well all being well, they will have a taxiable Mosquito NFII very soon to draw the public in, as well as the ongoing airworthy restoration of the Lancaster.

Member for

10 years 6 months

I simply cannot imagine the family 'throwing in the towel' after all these years. It means too much to them - the money will come in because of their commitment.

Member for

15 years 7 months

Glad you all like the video, we were very suprised and touched with what Jason (the student) achieved.
Just in reply to R4118, we have never set a date on when NX will fly due to the huge project it is and the possibility of parts of the project taking longer than expected, the wings for example. The Press on the otherhand...... they love to put a timescale on it whether its right or not! What's the saying, "don't let the truth get in the way of a good story"....
Hopefully you will all see over the past 2 years and in the next 9 years the physical work on the airframe has, and will, ramp up.
This last year has seen the first airframe sections overhauled/restored with the stbd fin and rudder.
Next winter will see the port fin and rudder completed and we then move on to the fuselage sections.
The centre section and wings will be the last to be done in case of spar booms being required (each year we complete more surveys to investigate the wings). This is because the wings are the biggest job on the aircraft and therefore the most costly. We will gauge the CAA/warbird operating scene at this point to be sure that there would be nothing to stop NX flying such as insurance, AvGas, CAA rules and regs as we will be several years in the future from now and many things could change.

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Trolly Aux - This the one ? (Courtesy of:- http://www.in-touch.ukvet.net/121/121old.htm )

OLD AIRFIELD
by W Scott ex -630 Squadron

No. 630 Squadron was formed on 15th November 1943, at East Kirkby (codename Silksheen), near Spilsby, Lincolnshire , and remained based there throughout its existence. Equipped with Lancasters , it formed part of No. 5 Group and between 18/19th November 1943 and 25th April 1945, took part in many major raids, including each of the 16 big raids made by Bomber Command on the German capital during what became known as the "Battle of Berlin".

I lie here, still, beside the hill
Abandoned long to Nature’s will.
My buildings down. My people gone.
My only bounds, the wild bird’s song.

But my mighty birds will rise no more.
No more I hear the Merlins roar.
And never now my bosom feels
The pounding of their giant wheels.

From the ageless hill their voices cast
Thunderous echoes of the past.
And still in lonely reverie
Their great dark wings sweep down on me.

Laughter, sorrow, hope and pain,
I shall never know these things again.
Emotions that I came to know
Of strange young men so long ago.

Who knows as evening shadows meet
Are they with me still, a phantom fleet?
And do my ghosts still stride unseen
Across my face so wide and green?

And in the future should structures tall
Bury me beyond recall
I shall still remember them,
My metal birds, and long-dead men.

Now weeds grow high, obscure the sky.
O remember me when you pass by.
For beneath this tangled, leafy screen

I was your home, your friend “Silksheen”.

The poem contributed by Freda Carnell

Geoff.

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
As regards to seeing JJ flying again well it will if Andrew and the team along with us all want it to fly funding will be the deciding factor, the cash
we donate and to then continue donate to the project on top of what Andrew and the team put into it personally to make it and keep it airworthy.

Like a member on the forum said given enough funding anything in theory is possible, basically it comes down to us and the continual backing
with funds to see this beautiful aircraft fly again as a legacy to all three Panton brothers (RIP Chris and Fred) first an foremost and a flying memorial to
those in Bomber Command (RIP all those who perished).

Geoff.

Member for

9 years 7 months

"She Will Fly Again"...

Well I wouldn't bet on it. Maybe they should give Red Bull a ring?

Member for

18 years 5 months

it is strange how this thread has gone negative so quickly. Most readers support projects when the aims are clearly laid out and those involved have demonstrated a track record , certainly East Kirkby has been one of the better places for aviation heritage.

Member for

15 years 7 months

Well maybe the Panton family should listen to the doubters, i mean what did two farmers ever think they would achieve anyway.
Its not like they bought a Lancaster, set up an aviation museum and memorial to Bomber Command thats been open for 30 years, restore the lancaster to taxying condition, employ 3 highly skilled aircraft engineers with over 100 years warbird experience, employ over 25 more people to keep the memorial alive and working, receive the blessing of the CAA to restore the Lancaster to airworthy condition, own possibly the largest collection of privately owned Merlins in Europe and make it all accessible to anyone who wants to visit all WITHOUT any external funding.
Now if they had achieved all that they may just think that with hard work, dedication, commitment, the sacrifice of the majority of their spare time, every penny they could spare and a bit of luck they may be able to achieve the final dream of restoring NX611 to airworthy and a bit of belief in their abilities.
But nevermind i guess it'll never work, after all they are/were just a couple of old farmers from Lincolnshire.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Has the museum said how much they plan on flying her?

Since the BBMF Lancaster has the flypast trade pretty much sewn-up, I'd think they don't HAVE to fly her a great deal.

Let's face it, since she'll be only the third of her type flying, they don't need to fly it a lot. Just having an airworthy Lancaster is enough to draw visitors and supporters.

I wish them the best of luck.

Member for

11 years 10 months

Andrew, very well said!

Some of us have every confidence in the work on NX611, which is inspirational.

Just ignore the doom-mongers and nay-sayers, you will have the last laugh.

Andy

Member for

14 years 6 months

If only they would have bought that Halifax for 100 pounds when they got the chance. Other than that I think they have done very well with the whole lot.
Cees

Member for

17 years 11 months

I have no doubt in my mind that Just Jane will be airworthy and be the second flying Lancaster resident in the UK skies.
If I go back to the early 70s the thought of seeing a B17, B25, P51, P47, Spitfires by the squadron Hurricanes a Blenheim all kinds of Eastern block Migs Yaks Bf109s, Buchons the list could go on people would of said your dreaming of seeing any of those now days, now days are here and I thank each and every owner operator for taking the time money and effort to bring me the visions I see in the skies of the UK
To the Pantons and all involved at EK a thank you for taking this on, thank you for saving this aeroplane I cannot wait but wait I will.