AVRO hangars for sale

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 3 months

Up for auction next week
https://www.invaluable.co.uk/auction-lot/*-the-historic-green-avro-hangar.-65E4655977

Original post

Member for

18 years 10 months

If the lottery cooperates, that's my new shed. :)

Member for

20 years 1 month

What a nice find.

That would look great at Old Warden, or Brooklands.

Member for

15 years 8 months

It would have looked even nicer at Woodford with the aviation collection inside it.
Whilst I am sure the old firestation building is very useful having a restored, functioning, period building with a known site history would be far more sensible.
I assume there is still a chance that the Aviation collection at Woodford could purchase the hangar, and pay to have it redelivered back to Manchester.

Member for

14 years 1 month

We actually had Avro hangers on the 146/RJ flightdeck.

Are these sheds not hangArs?

Depends on whether you should have got your coat. Or in 2000-ese, "...should of got you're coat". I'd put an apostrophe in there but can't find an unsuitable place.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Would be right at home at East Kirkby...They could use it for their vehicles or as a workshop for aircraft parts etc.

Member for

9 years 7 months

I'm always entertained by forum members who seem to only post when the word 'hangar' is misspelled. It is like they receive a special signal or something.

Member for

16 years 3 months

They were at Woodford, until last year.

They were purchased by, or gifted to, someone who came and took them away. What a shame he/she has to try and turn them into a profit so soon. I wonder if, had the Avro Heritage people known they were going to be auctioned off, they would have let someone else have them instead - or was it all part of the plan?

Anon.

Member for

18 years 5 months

I prefer "Flight Sheds"...which has the DIY feel of early aviation, and the place for tinkering...

Member for

16 years 10 months

Whilst it would be great if these ended up back at Woodford the converted firestation there is really impressive, they've done a really good job with it.

Here's hoping we see those hangars somewhere aviation related.

Member for

18 years 10 months

East Kirkby, Brooklands, Duxford, Stow Maries, Old Warden...

Member for

19 years 5 months

I saw a comment by an official of Stowe Maries that they're getting new hangars. That's not to say that these are the ones.

That was my only criticism of Stowe Maries, the current hangars look out of place.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Do you have pictures of Stowe Maries? I really need to visit.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Sorry, None that do the place justice. I limited my photos to a couple of the flying aircraft and a Pup replica.

You might try their website or even places like Trip Advisor.

I was very impressed with the buildings and displays. Well dressed and excellent lifelike mannequins are placed in typical situations in authenticity equipped rooms with lights and conversational recordings that come on when you enter. As an example, they have a squadron photo of the pilots. One pilot had the squadron mascot dog at his feet. Taking that as a clue, they have a mannequin that looks just like him in a typical pilot's accommodation. As an animal lover, they have a lifelike stuffed cat resting on his bed.
The ops room is likewise staffed and furnished.

Other displays discuss the air war and the air defense of Britain.

An aviation museum that has broad appeal.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Although not Hangars, some of the other airfield buildings that have survived and are probably being restored. These images were taken three or four years ago and may have changed considerably since taken.

Member for

16 years 3 months

Ahem! To return to the original thread; the Avro hangars, or sheds, were at Woodford until last year. It would be nice, but they're not likely to be going back there any time soon.

Anon.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Five days to the auction & no bids, it doesn't look like they're going any place yet. At least the building is safe inside the Conex & not going to be bulldozed flat.

Member for

24 years 3 months

An ideal location would be on the site of the blown up ones at Duxford. try telling that to the goons who think that an empty airfield is a good idea, and that wish to bulldoze the Land Warfare Hall!

Member for

18 years 11 months

I don’t think Duxford would be ideal at all. These are not from a inter-war / WW2 airfield and would be quite out of place there. Somewhere like OW would be far better.

Member for

16 years 3 months

It would be appropriate if the hangars found a home at Barton and got used (again) by the Lancashire Aero Club.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Apparently they were never used as hangars. The doors only open to half-span which is a bit daft if you're trying to put an aircraft inside.