A couple of Plessey Breeze connectors wanted

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

5 years 11 months

Hi,
I'm in the process of planning the restoration of a T1403A transmitter for Duxford Radio Section.

This transmitter uses Breeze plugs to connect the power unit to the transmitter and I get the impression that the aviation fraternity use them and there are still some around if you know where.

Is there a catalogue so I could identify the part number for the 10 way ones I need. I could post a photo of the chassis mounted male plug part if it would help.

I've seen some other sizes on ebay but I've never seen the backshells so I guess they are quite rare now!

Any help most welcome.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Post up some pictures; I will see what I have.

Member for

5 years 11 months

Hi Bruce, thanks for your quick reply.

There must be a size limit as my first attempt failed so I've reduced them.
The outside diameter of the shell of ten way one is 34mm and the two way one is 29mm.
Ideally would like two of the 10 pole and one of the 2 pole one.
Thanks for looking.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]260308[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]260307[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

24 years 3 months

OK, let me have a look - they don't immediately ring a bell. Failing that, I can probably find you some with the right OD, but wrong plug arrangement, which you can adapt.

Member for

5 years 11 months

OK Bruce. Thanks for your help.

I'm not at all familiar with these connectors so don't know anything about adapting them so perhaps you could enlighten me a bit.
I've used Jones plugs, Painton plugs, W plugs and Plessey Mk4 but these are new to me.
I knew someone who was ex-RAF and had to use them during WW2 but referred to them as horrid!

Member for

15 years 3 months

Breeze Connectors

They may have been referred to as horrid because they can seem to be impossibly tight when trying to disconnect them. The thing to remember is that you have to undo the rear housing that clamps the cable going into the free connector before attempting to unscrew the body from the fixed bulkhead/equipment connector.

Member for

15 years 3 months

A few more pages of the text:

Attachments

Member for

5 years 11 months

Hi TerryP,
Many thanks for the docs.
How do I copy them to print because they are too small to read on the screen.

Member for

19 years 11 months

Click on your chosen image three times, firstly you'll get a small windowed version, click again and you'll get a bigger image, click a third time and Bob's your uncle

Member for

5 years 11 months

Great - thanks Maple 01

Member for

5 years 11 months

Hi folks, as there have been no further posts, am I to assume that these Plessey Breeze connectors are now unavailable or is there still some hope of finding a couple of the 10 way ones?

Best wishes,

Member for

11 years 10 months

They do turn up, you've just got to keep searching!
Try http://www.servoconnectors.co.uk/ or https://www.fclane.com/
I've bought Breeze connectors from both sources, they both have stocks of 'discontinued' or surplus types, you might have to persuade them to go and look...............

Remind me what a T1403A is, please.

Andy

Member for

5 years 11 months

Hi Andy,
Thanks for your reply.
The trouble is I don't know the part number of the connector so don't know what to ask for. Your suggestion to persuade them might need someone who is eager to help and not just a storekeeper!
The T1403A was used with "Station Portable WT/RT, Portable Type 12".
They were installed in a 6ft x 4ft tent on a frame along with the receiver Type R1224B and Power Unit Type 266.
Here below I quote the text of what was SD 0334 that later became AP2910B:

1. The Station W.T./R.T. portable Type 12 is designed to operate in conjunction with the Transportable Ground Radio Installation Types 5109/5124 referred to hereafter as the T.G.R.I.

2. Its purpose is to serve as a rear communication link to a Light Warning Set by means of which, information regarding the approach of aircraft may be passed to the base concerned.

Member for

5 years 11 months

Yes Andy, I've seen that one before. Its the only photo I've ever seen of a T1403A on the internet. Apart from the valves, there are lots of other bits missing - It should have a dividing screen running front to back to separate the PA compartment. You can see the breeze connectors on the 3rd photo - the one on the right is to the power unit and the one on the left is to connect a remote control unit type 223. The square paxolin panel in the corner is the crystal socket or it can take a Master Oscillator tuning unit. The remote control relays have all been removed from underneath the chassis too.

Member for

11 years 10 months

Any chance of some pictures of yours, please?
Andy

Member for

5 years 11 months

Ok but wont be able to get to it for a couple of weeks as I'm away.
I sent an email to F.C. Lane and servoconnectors asking about Plessey-Breeze connectors but not heard anything back from either of them!
Guess I'll have to try them again.