Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 6 months

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/about-us/job-vacancies/conservation-mgr/

Ability to operate light switches optional :D

Original post

Member for

14 years 6 months

Nice job shame about the poor salary .............

Jules

Member for

17 years 6 months

Yup, par for the course for museums I am afraid, no wonder they have a vacancy.

Member for

16 years 4 months

I would apply in a heartbeat if I had the skills.

Member for

18 years

Conservation Manager.
Management titles being what they are these days, I guess we are about to see the RAF Museum follow other national museums and start "deaccessioning" most of their aircraft to replace them with "interactive" digital displays.

Member for

18 years

interesting comment Jules. UK National Average wage for 2017 is around £27,500

Do you think that is poor for London or the position, not having a dig just curious
:)

Member for

17 years 6 months

London for one and aviation for two.

Member for

15 years 1 month

Well it is still good money as far as I can see, how many people actually earn the national average? I know many that do not earn anywhere near it.

Member for

18 years 11 months

I'd have thought that with the plethora of aircraft preservation, museum management and aviation experts who aren't shy in telling museums and operators how they've "got it wrong" here, they'll be lining up to apply and start to effect that change they passionately believe in......

Member for

14 years 1 month

When you consider that anyone with the relevant experience, will have worked in the industry and maybe coming up to retirement,
if not already retired. Will (or should have) a decent pension. So another £500 or so a week, will not go amiss.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Based at the 'Colindale' site, London...

...seems the RAF Museum are continuing their policy of quietly erasing 'Hendon' from the public consciousness!

Member for

16 years 3 months

Taken a look at the Museum's website and could not find a mention of Hendon. Either London or Colindale.
Wonder why they play down "Hendon"...??? Is it a conscious decision on their part?
Tripadvisor still places the museum in "Hendon"...

Member for

11 years 7 months

Whilst on the edge of the former Airfield at Hendon, the museum actually lies in Colindale. Hendon, the settlement, is to the East on the other side of the M1 (West Hendon is further South). It is not such a new thing, I was a young whipper-snapper working in the Architectural team, at the Metropolitan Police Service, that designed the police station next door to the museum. That would would have been in 1991 and the area was definitely Colindale back then. I guess calling it Hendon could send visitors to the wrong place? All the same, I am surprised/disappointed that the website makes no reference to the former airfield.

Member for

11 years 11 months

AFAIR the museum has always been described as being at Colindale. One can speculate that the general public no longer has any awareness of the RAF Hendon airfield. There may even have been complaints from people going to the wrong place. I guess that one can "maximise the visitor experience" by doing ones best to ensure that they arriive in a happy and expectant frame of mind. Hendon (oops - I mean the RAF Museum at Colindale) is after all not in the most convenient of locations compared to central London attractions.

Member for

19 years 3 months

Many visitors arrive by Tube. To reach the Museum you do not get off at Hendon (unless you want a walk) you get off at Colindale Station.

Member for

16 years 3 months

I remember being slightly confused by this on my first visit back in the 1970s, soon sorted and I arrived at my intended destination: RAF Museum Hendon !!

Member for

18 years 5 months

Same mistake on my first visit..later became used to passing the Newspaper Archives,It was never well sign posted in the early years.

Member for

19 years 1 month

If any one is thinking of visiting the RAF Museum @ Colindale at the end of the month -

Our London site will be closed from 30 April to 4 May so that we may finalise the fitting out of our three new exhibitions:

RAF Stories, The First 100 Years 1918–2018
RAF – First to the Future
The RAF in an Age of Uncertainty

We would like to apologise in advance to visitors intending to visit during this week, but it is necessary for us to close to ensure that we are ready for our summer 2018 opening, which we will be announcing imminently.

Brian

Member for

14 years 1 month

I bet there will be more than a few people caught out by that !