Yak 18 F-AZYK accident 8/4/18 (Pas de Calais) Two fatalities

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=208984

The aircraft crashed during aerobatics, having rolled inverted after a flypast. but with insufficient height to pull through, back to level flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xYJ7FdaYJY

Original post

Member for

15 years

Tragic.

Member for

14 years 8 months

Looks like it just lost airspeed and stalled whilst inverted
Very sad

Member for

19 years 8 months

yes very sad was anyone hurt on the ground ? ,feel sorry for the family's involved

Member for

19 years 2 months

Very sad

Member for

24 years 2 months

The CAA rule about not carrying passengers during displays would at least have saved one life. Very sad.

Moggy

Member for

20 years

FYI it was not during display. This was not an airshow. The aircraft was departing back to base after an afternoon memorial flypast with other historic plane offer WWI battlefield where hundreds of Canadians soldiers lost their lives.

Member for

20 years

I wouldn’t normally comment on this sort of occasion.
I will observe though that as it was not an air show, why was the pilot conducting low aerobatics in front of an audience with a pax on board. Did the pax understand the risks, did they agree to them in advance, did the pilot have the competence to carry out the manoevre at low level with a pax on board.
It is sad that it ended this way, but in my opinion seems like a last minute idea that was not thought through with two souls lost.
Two families are now in shock and have suffered significant loss. First attenders to the scene will o doubt have suffers in some way and the onlookers have witnessed something that wasn’t planned and shouldn’t have happened.
Professionalism must come first fun is the also ran.

Member for

13 years 6 months

Stupid tragedy.
Way too low.
Sad.

I thought he was going to do a roll, but when I saw beginning of loop I knew he will hit ground.

Member for

20 years 6 months

:( So sad ,i guess it will all come out in the future but 2 families have needlessly suffered :( .