Lasham - Unidentified Prop

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 8 months

[ATTACH=CONFIG]259995[/ATTACH]

Where SWWAPS was once and embedded in a tree. No idea as which aircraft this once came from, but possibly a Lockheed Neptune? Image taken today.

Attachments
Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Well, as late as 1971 I photographed a dismantled RAF Neptune in Staravia's yard there.

Member for

16 years 3 months

Could be Neptune, but also Beverley and Britannia used this type of prop.

The Beverley/Brit used a de-Havilland unit which was a hybrid design, using a Ham-Stan-type hub but with the Curtiss design hollow steel blades. A characteristic of this hub was that it had a prominent heavy mounting flange on the front face adjacent to the dome mounting aperture. That appears to be present on the hub pictured.

Anon.

Member for

18 years 4 months

The SWWAPS collection did have an ex Beverley Centaurus at one time so the prop may have been Bev too.

Richard

Member for

16 years 3 months

I've just noticed that the prop pictured is the incorrect (LH) rotation direction for both the Beverley and the Britannia. Therefore, Neptune is the application - unless the picture has been reversed?

Anon.

Member for

15 years 2 months

Could it be DC-7?

Dan-Air had G-ATAB which seems to have been scrapped at the end of their ownership?

Member for

16 years 3 months

Although the DC-7 used both rounded and square-tipped props I believe they were all alloy-bladed Hydromatics, not the steel-bladed type.

The prop pictured has hollow steel blades.

Anon.