Help Please With Control Yoke I.d.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 4 months

Hi
Can anyone help please with the identity of this possible Control Yoke?

On the back of the yoke it reads AHRCO model no3 TC no 118

There appears to be similar yokes but I'm yet to find a match

Thank you once again for any help given in advance.

Sorry photos up upside down

Attachments
Original post

Member for

13 years 4 months

Good spot Fly.buy

Also looking through some previous posts Rocketeer has suggested the Norseman looks identical, so looks like it may of been fitted on a few different types of aircraft, I'll keep looking maybe there may be other suggestions.

Member for

20 years 10 months

Link trainer???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]259954[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

19 years 10 months

Hawker 1966, the above suggestion is also a good one and Link did also cross my mind. One clue to look out for is if the weight of your yoke is exceptionally heavy! The yoke for Link trainers were made from smelted scrap metal, as the link was not intended to fly, the weight of the metal was therefore not an issue. The weight difference should be obvious to that of a conventional yoke, may also account for the small centre key hole If it was not intended to fly.

Member for

20 years 10 months

[ATTACH=CONFIG]259966[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

13 years 4 months

Hi Jasonp51d
Sorry for the late reply, it certainly looks identical to the control wheel i have apparently this type of trainer dates from 1929, i would think the smaller hole sizing at the centre of the yoke is to adapt to a link trainer (as Fly.buy has previously suggested)

But also looking back at the thread "Your favourite control column/grip" on number 1068 ( byFly.buy) it shows a wheel from a Lerwick with a small centre hole also but of different design, like Fly.buy has said before it would be unusual for a wheel to have such a small hole like the Lerwick but it appears some may have this small design.

The yoke i have appears to of been modified, could this of been to fit something else ie for example a Barkley Grow T8P1 to a Norseman (or other) as both these aircraft have identical yokes, or the link trainer as suggested.

The weight of the yoke is light about the same in weight as the DC3 i have.

looking also at the DC3 yoke on no 1060 on the"Your favourite control column/grip" it again shows a modification of this size of centre hole.

I guess the only way for sure is to see what is behind the centre cap/Bolt to see what design there is on the likes of the Barkley and Norseman and the link trainer.

It would be great to get to the bottom of this as the subject does appear to crop up frequently.

Member for

19 years 5 months

It doesn't look unlike one from the Convair 240/340/440/T-29/C-131 series (and I suspect other Consolodated/Convair types as well).

Member for

13 years 4 months

Thanks for the reply and input J Boyle

Just surfing the net for any possible photos of behind the centre cap of the yoke itself on the Noresman and come across this link

http://www.flight-manuals-online.com/product/noorduyn-c-64-norseman/#

If you look at the photo of the link trainer that jasonp51d had posted on no 6 reply you can see that the centre fixing appears to be very similar unfortunately it is hard to zoom in on it for any any clarity.

Would anyone have any clearer photos of the yoke fixing behind the centre cap?

Any thoughts also?

Member for

19 years 10 months

Certainly not Convair 240-440, I have come across a lot of these in the past.

My theory on post 1060, is the following and this is pure speculation on my part having had these types of yokes pass through my hands. There is a clear quality build difference between those yokes which were destined to fit on flying aircraft against those which were destined for fitting to static 'Link' aircraft.
At the end of the war some yokes which had been manufactured for 'flying' aircraft and now surplus to requirements had their center fixing adapted to be fitted onto link aircraft. I cannot think of another feasible explanation but would welcome other suggestions.

Member for

13 years 4 months

Hi FLY.BUY
Thanks again for your valued reply, i have to say i agree with you 100 percent as the modification does appear to be less rebust to your average if not all control yokes around this era, its just a pity there are no references to this type of yoke fixing on the net,which will always leave it open to debate.

Unless of course someone owns a link trainer that shows this type of fixing.

Member for

19 years 10 months

I have in the past had a link trainer yoke and the modification is the same.

Member for

13 years 4 months

That clears that up then, i would say the yoke i have was formerly a Norseman/Barkley that was converted into a link trainer as it appears FLY.BUY you have evidence of his, so any yoke with the centre yoke modification as per my control yoke is a link trainer.

Many thanks again for everyone's input in regard to this thread..

Member for

13 years 4 months

Hi FLY.BUY
That certainly clears things up in regards to the centre hole,as the yoke i have would of been converted to a link trainer at some point in its history, previously being made for a flying aircraft as it shows the correct hole size and slot before being adapted for link trainer usage.
Thanks to all the above comments and Swifter.