Anson re paint for RAF 100

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anson re paint for RAF 100

Its possible that this could be the new scheme, GVROE being re painted at Old Warden https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1515739

location should be Staverton..
    Last edited by scotavia; 13th April 2018, 10:49.

I was there last week and didn't notice it.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

It's being repainted at Staverton, not Old Warden.

Comment

ooopss my mistake, faulty grey cells...

Comment

It's not G-VROE either, but G-AHKX.

Comment

G-AHKX and others at Strathallan 1973.
            Attached Files
            Robert Whitton,
            Edinburgh, Scotland

Comment

wonderful picture, thanks for sharing... what became of the others?
              pb::

Comment

Should emerge in the silver, white and day-glo colours of TX176, RAF Coningsby Station Flight, according to info posted on UKAR.
                Last edited by LN Strike Eagle; 15th April 2018, 11:55.
                UK Airshow Review

Comment

Originally posted by SADSACK
                  wonderful picture, thanks for sharing... what became of the others?
                  G-AGWE went to the States and is, I think, still stored somewhere in Florida
                  G-AWRS is at Nelsam
                  G-APHV is at East Fortune in its RAF markings of VM360
                  G-AYWA went to Belgium in 2007
                  G-AHIC donated its centre section to the rebuild of G-VROE

That is a lovely picture - those were the first historic aircraft I ever saw. I remember it was a murky day in early '73 and they were quite a ghostly sight through the mist!
                  The For Sale notice from Flight in 1972 -

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flight Dec 72.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	3680137
                  Last edited by Mothminor; 15th April 2018, 20:57.

Comment

The Avro 19s that were not scrapped by the RAF had a variety of roles. Treffield Aviation ran cargo including a lucrative ferry service from Blackpool to the Isle of man and Ireland during several ship strikes with cigarettes as freight. Some were planned to be used as medical/aid transports in the Biafra war refugee crisis and not all got there. I saw many being scapped at Shawbury and only the remote location of Aldergrove in Ireland saved WD413 from the same fate, being disposed of in 1977.

Comment

G-AGWE did indeed end up in the USA. I photographed its fuselage frame that was suspended from the roof of a hangar at Tico. When I went to the same location some years later the Anson had moved on - I don't know if it survives.
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."(Mary Baker Eddy)

Comment

Thanks, Consul. Hopefully she's still around and got better days ahead. Iirc I read somewhere that the remains of G-AHIC had also gone to the USA.

Comment

Working...
                        X